Second body to accompany E-M10?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SVQuant, Jan 22, 2016.

1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Since I got my E-M10 kit and the 75-300 lens for a Yellowstone trip last summer, I have added a couple of primes and the O40-150 f/4-5.6 to complete a very nice m43 setup which I am very happy with. I am thinking about adding a second body and the one of the 14-1x0 superzooms so that my wife and I can both be on m43.

As we gear up for spring activities for our 2 middle schoolers, we have a lacrosse season, couple of band concerts, a couple of dance performances (among other things) which we would like to photograph. I think we are ok with our current lenses for most of these, though I will look to rent either the P35-100/2.8 or the O40-150/2.8 for the dance performances. Occasionally, we would like to have one of us shoot a (home) video while the other is taking pictures, though there are always phones for this these days.

My question has to do with the choice of the second body. As I see it, my choices are:
    1. E-PL7: Latest generation PEN-lite body. Essentially an EM-10 without an EVF, uses the same batteries as the E-M10, can be combined with the O25/1.8 for a small and light package (purse camera?). $319 refurb at Oly site.
    2. E-M5 Mk I: Would then be a bigger brother to the E-M10, but gives 5-axis IBIS and some other improvements. Different battery, so more chargers to manage, etc. Weather proofing would be nice, esp. if I upgrade to the f2.8 zooms in the future. $379.
    3. E-P5: 5-axis IBIS in a PEN body with great styling. Again, different batteries. About the same weight as my E-M10. Very attractive with the O17+VF4 package for $599.
    4. Another E-M10: No need to learn a new interface, common batteries, I already like the camera, etc. But I already have one, so where is the fun? $399.
    Additionally, I have thought about the E-PL5/E-PM2 and they can be had cheap enough if I want to go used, but I feel that the PL7 may be a better option than either of them. Panasonic bodies look good too, but I will try and limit myself to Oly for the moment. We still have a Nikon D40 with the kit zooms and 35/1.8 DX, so there is always the option of not spending any more money.

Would welcome thoughts and comments from others who have made this call. In particular, am I being overly sensitive to the battery issue? Never worried about it with the Nikons I used, but clearly an issue with the Olys. Would I gain from 5-axis vs 3-axis IBIS? Anything I am missing as I think about this?

2. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    I have a E-M5 and really like it but in your case, another E-M10 might be a better option because of the battery situation as you have already noted. And having a built-in flash is pretty handy too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Buy another E-M10. Get it in another color if you want something different! :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Interesting, 2 votes for the E-M10. I really like the look of my silver one, but maybe I should go look at a black one again :)

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    There are many threads like this here. Search is your friend. The consensus usually comes to this:
    • If you need to shoot two bodies for serious reasons like weddings, other events, photo safaris, etc. because you need to have two different lenses immediately available then you should shoot two identical bodies. Identical user interfaces, batteries, chargers, etc. are among the benefits. Where is the fun? No fun. Practicality.
    • If you want a second body primarily for the fun of alternating between the two, getting a new toy, etc. then anything goes. Here is the fun.
    Re black vs silver, I shoot two GX7s. One black. One silver. I can grab the right lens just by seeing the color of the body. Also, if one body starts to screw up I know which one it is by color. For me the "look" of the body has nothing to do with the choice.

Re superzooms, one of my two bodies always carries my 14-140mm Mk. II.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I agree that having a common battery type and user interface are big benefits. I had an EM5 and bought a PL5 as a backup. But the PL5 used a different battery and especially the control and interface differences made it difficult for me to switch between one and the other. So, when I got the EM1, I sold the PL5 and kept the EM5. Commonality of batteries simplified logistics. Control and interface were similar enough. Getting another EM10 (maybe an EM10 II) is good advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GM1/5 is a fun option. They are ridiculously small so they provide a very compact option. Probably not the best choice for a 14-140, though.

8. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Apologies if I went over well-trodden ground. I did read through a bunch of the threads, but decided to post anyways. Primarily because the E-M5/E-P5 are "higher-end" models which are on the way out and are available at better prices than the E-M10/E-PL7/E-M10II. I am no longer a bleeding edge adopter of anything, so I am sure that the older bodies would meet my needs. I figured that it would be good to get a sense of the tradeoffs from people who had made the decision before me.

Looks like the battery/interface are things I should worry about (as I was) and that makes me lean towards another E-M10 or maybe the E-PL7. Good point about the color, differentiating the bodies for identical models had not struck me as being that important. Thanks for seconding the superzoom idea.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sorry if I came across as criticizing. That was not my intention.

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wouldn't sweat the batteries and controls that much since you said one is kind of for your wife anyway. You'll need the same # of batteries and chargers anyway.

The only time I'd worry about it is if you are working an event and one is your backup (or swapping between two with two lenses). If you just take out one for the day, you really aren't going to get confused when using the camera. They aren't that hard to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Not at all. Should have clarified better in my original post. I almost bought an E-PL7 before the very attractive prices on the E-P5/E-M5 started to distract me.

12. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    I like the idea of a compact option and I saw used GM1's at good prices on ebay. I will take another look at it as well. Too many good choices :)

13. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I picked up a used E-P5/VF-4/17mm combo and love it! It's nice being able to take the VF-4 off and then being left with a quite small camera. The E-P5 is a bit of a strange one when it comes to specs though, having less focus points to pick from than the E-M10. It does borrow a couple of things from the E-M1 though like 1/8000 shutter speed, focus peaking and the 1/2 selection switch to change the top dials between A/Exp and WB/ISO. I quite like having less focal points to pick from as it makes the camera quicker to use! I sometimes think that having the option to arrange the points like a tradition DSLR would be a nice option, people have survived with 9 for a long time and it does make selecting points much quicker.

14. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    @Levster@Levster
    The EP-5 is a very handsome camera and that combination is really attractive, both from price and focal length point of view. I am not sure I mind about the fewer focus points since the D40 I decided to hold onto has only 3. I quite liked the focus and compose with my DSLRs. In fact, using autofocus properly was one of my challenges when I switched to m43.

A question for you: Are you using the E-P5 for your astro photography? At some point in the future, I would like to try my hand at astro. So always curious to learn.

15. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    This is the way I am going but in part because I want the small body for bicycle touring.

16. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    My votes would be for the EM10 (either Mark I or Mark II if you can afford it) or the EP5. You can find some pretty hot deals on the EP5s and the VF4 viewfinder if that's important to you.

... or the Pen F ... f f f f :wink:

17. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yes, I use my E-P5 for astro and it seems to do a pretty good job. One good thing with the new bodies (E-M1, E-M5ii and E-M10ii) is that they have a really neat feature called Live Boost 2 (older bodies only have Boost 1) and this amplifies the received signal and makes it much easier to find your target in the sky. Unfortunately the newer models have much worse long-exposure noise than the older bodies, with most people suggesting that IBIS is to blame. I have read recommendations for the PL-5 as a good astro option and have also heard of people getting these modified to be more responsive to typical astro wavelengths.

18. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The GM5 is the ultimate purse cam. I wouldn't look at the GM-1, the lack of a thumb dial makes it much less enjoyable to use.

Do you like the dial layout on the E-M10? Because it is the same layout on the E-M5, and I never got along with it. The rear dial is too far away from my thumb. They've fixed this in both of the MarkII models. So my answer depends on whether you get on with it.

If you do, then yes get a E-M5.

If not, then get a E-M10 mkII, or a E-PL7 and then a VF4 off eBay. The E-PL7 option can be bought piece by piece, and can do the purse cam job very well (fit a pancake and leave the VF4 at home). But the E-M10 mkII has better IBIS, better video and the two control wheel interface you are already used to.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  19. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    What lens would you pair this with? The O17 or 14-42? I am afraid that the GM1/5 may be too small for my fat fingers. But I like the compact camera part.

I could probably afford the Pen F :), but I will wait for a couple of years and pick up the body for $300. I am leaning towards the E-PL7 because it will be a compact complement to the E-M10.

I don't have any particular gripes about it. Seems ok to me. I have not looked at the Mark II at all, so maybe time to compare them.

I am strongly leaning towards this. The purse camera thing is definitely attractive and it will make a great indoors camera with the O25. That way I can put the superzoom on the E-M10 and have a couple of every day setups.

20. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks for the information. I will do some more research into it when I have some time. I am leaning towards an E-PL7 at the moment and would consider the O12 or maybe the O9-18(kind of slow, but got to start somewhere) to get a wide angle for astro. BTW, I looked at a couple of your astro posts, very cool!