1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Second body help

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Chrisnmn, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys i know i might get some biased opinions on this one but what the heck.

So im super happy with my m43 and im not ditching the system. But in a galaxy not far away i WILL buy a Nikon D800E or a Pentax 645D. As im looking that "extra kick" in my landscape photography that i love to do. For everything else i have my OMD.

Sometime ago i bought an EPM2 as a second body. Love the tiny thing, but i just cant dive through menus every time, also i need the viewfinder and noticed how much the IBIS on my OMD helps as for some weird reason im getting a lot of unwanted blurry shots with the EPM2 and certainly i should have listened Gary when he said "Chris, the only second body option for an OMD is a OMD."

Fast forward... Im getting married and doing our honey moon in april. We are doing it back home, in Chile. My honey moon includes places ive never been before so, antartica, atacama desert, machu picchu...etc!

Before doing my last lens shopping i was wanting to get the new fuji X100s since i loved my P20 an a 35 is great, but now i got my P25 and it feels like "home".

So .... I have an spare $1000 that i would like to use on a second body to my OMD as the EPM2 will go to my mother In-Law.

The question is:

X100s or another OMD?

I Know the new x100s HAVE better IQ than the OMD, now, how much better?, and given ill get a "big gun" for really "supreme" IQ in a near future is it worth the fuji?

PS: didnt said anything about lenses as i feel i have an awesome kit so far and dont "need" another one really. The only one i "want" is the O60. But thats another story.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm sure you've got more than a few lenses for your OM-D that will put the X100 to shame, so you should pick up a second OM-D. If that weren't the case then you would be looking at more glass before considering another body.

I would have just gotten the viewfinder for the E-PM2, personally. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. WorldShooter

WorldShooter Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Giethoorn, Netherlands
    Peter B.
    If I were you, I'd stay in my eco system and buy another OM-D E-M5. You already know how that works, so it's very easy to integrate into your entire setup. There's a huge benefit in that, that shouldn't be underestimated. (I know because I've been shooting a pair of Nikon D300"s for years now).

Put two of your favorite m43 lenses on the two bodies (or maybe not even your two favorite ones, but two that are most appropriate for the environment you're in) and you can shoot very quickly, grabbing one or the other body as you go. You can also choose to setup each body slightly differently (e.g. one with face/eye recognition AF and a portrait lens, the other with single point AF and a wide lens for scenery shots; one with Auto-ISO so you can always shoot, the other fixed low ISO for low noise, high detail shots; one color, one B&W; one single shot, the other bracketed multishot (for HDR for instance); and on and on, you get the idea). Although the two bodies are setup slightly different, they still feel familiar, and operate in the same way.

Obviously all your lenses and accessories can be used on both bodies, which instantly makes all this stuff twice as valuable.

Something that you cannot obtain by buying something like a X100s (although in itself reported as a very competent camera). Keeping in mind that in "a galaxy not to far away" you will also want to buy into either a Nikon D800E or Medium Format camera (again, you will also need lenses and accessories for this), I'd keep it simple and limit yourself to two eco systems by that time.

Also learning a new camera system in depth, so shortly before such an important and undoubtedly impressive journey is not a good idea. And you sure won't want to be messing with manuals during that trip: the new Mrs Chris deserves your devoted attention :)

Good luck with your gear choices, but more importantly congratulations on your marriage and happy honeymoon!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Congrats!

I was thinking the x100s too, the end I bought e-p3 for new low price. e-p3 has 2 control wheels and few function bottoms, also the same oled touch screen as omd, its larger body is easier operate than e-pm, e-pl, I can accept older sensor for everyday use, but compatible with all my m4/3 lenses, use omd for better work.

M4/3 is better choice, just my 2c.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thank you guys for all the advice. An OMD will be then. Now the question is : new or used? Whats the price for both as body only?

@Ned: i thought about the vf2 for the epm2 but im going to give it as gift to my in-law!

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    For Antarctica I would go dual E-M5 with a 100-300 on one, and 12-35 (or other wide angle of choice) on the other. You don't need crazy ISO, and I haven't seen much to convince me the Fuji is much better. Besides, it gets humid down there.

Really really I would take the E-M5 and the 5d mark II for landscape, though. Or a D800. You will want to print BIG. I speak from experience ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'll give you my advice for what it's worth, as someone that has a Nikon D800, Fuji X-E1 (soon to be an X100S hopefully), GH3, RX1 and other cameras to compare against. I'll share some of my experiences and offer some other food for thought (feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further too).

First, regarding a second body... I have a GH3 and just purchased a used OM-D as a second body, despite having other camera systems. The reason is twofold: first, I have a bunch of m4/3 lenses, so I can make good use of 2 bodies on the road. Second, having personally had a camera die on vacation (G3), I was extraordinarily grateful that I had a second body that could make use of the same lenses (GX1), and even in that case the same batteries/charger. Without a doubt, the most functional travel setup has to be 2 bodies for the same system, with assorted lenses. If they're the same body, that's even better with regards to accessories, batteries and so forth. I used to scoff at dual cameras, and almost didn't bring the G3 on that fateful trip. Well, not only did my G3 bite the dust that vacation, so did my wife's camera. She ended up using my backup Canon S95 and I fell back on my GX1 only. If I hadn't brought 2 bodies, I would have missed out on a number of good photo ops from Alaska.

Regarding other systems: there's some redundancy benefit to having a second camera like an X100S even if it can't share lenses; at least you still have *a* camera if something happens to your OM-D on a trip. For that reason I doubt I'll do any trips without some kind of quality backup camera. So even with the X100S it's still a plus, with the obvious loss of not being able to share lenses or accessories with the m4/3 gear.

The main reason to bring a different camera/system is pretty simple: ideally it offers something m4/3 doesn't in IQ or shooting experience. So there you just have to ask yourself, would you rather have 2 identical cameras with different lenses, or would it be more enjoyable to have something like the X100S with a rangefinder aesthetic that's a departure from the OM-D. On the IQ front, the X-E1 (which should be similar) is noticeably different from my m4/3 gear - better noise performance, good detail resolution and more ability to crop, more shallow DoF at large apertures. And of course, there's the Fuji look that seems to be somewhat unique in my experience, for whatever that's worth. It's just a different animal than my m4/3 stuff.

Everyone is different, but I know for me it's very hard to compromise on quality. That's a big part of why I have the D800 and other systems besides m4/3, and it makes it a tough choice sometimes After all, if I'm capturing memories, why not get them in the most resolution and quality possible? Of course the balance there is size and weight; for the weight and bulk of the 24-70 on the D800 I could probably carry a GH3 + 7-14, 12-35, 35-100 combo and then some :tongue: It's just a decision I end up having to make on a case by case basis.

My best advice is if you are definitely planning a D800E in the future, don't branch into the Fuji camp too. Speaking from experience, I can tell you too many choices just makes it worse. If I could take my own advice I'd probably be a lot better off and certainly less conflicted when it's time to pack for a trip :rofl: FWIW, if I could actually manage to get over my Gear Attachment Syndrome, I'd pare things down to just my Nikon and m4/3 gear because it covers all the bases very well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I've become a big believer in having a second body, particularly given that even two larger Micro 4/3 bodies like my E-M5 and GH1 combined weigh the same as my old Canon 50D. I like having the second body for the ability to have two lenses mounted at once as well as for the added insurance should something go wrong. The logical thing would probably be to have two identical bodies so that you only need learn one or at least two bodies with effectively the same image output, but I prefer to have some variety particularly given that we can mix and match two different brands in Micro 4/3. The GH1 gives me a different set of characteristics compared to the E-M5 while still being totally interchangeable

My interest in having variety further extends outside of Micro 4/3 with a Canon G1X and Samsung NX200 + two pancake lenses. I find it hard to choose which if any of these four cameras to leave at home since while they each effectively offer the same high level of image quality they also have their own strengths and individual signatures. At some point I suspect that I will even start taking each image four times over...

So anyway, I wouldn't give up having a second Micro 4/3 body in lieu of something different since it is the system where I have my main lenses, but I also love having that something different as well!

P.S. Best wishes for your wedding and honeymoon!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Mattia, thanks for that man, and yes i would take the OMD and the 5DMKII or D800E but i sold my FF gear a year ago and dont own the D800 just yet. :thumbup:

Jay, appreciate the in depth advice!, and i agree with you. I just wonder, why you have so many different systems! ahahah. but yeah, ill have my m43 and then my FF or MF when the time comes.

Thanks Nic, I do believe about a second body, i just did a mistake with the EPM2 as my second body, not because the camera is not capable, is just because i love how the OMD works and it just fits perfect for me. So yeah, ill get a second OMD (even-though i know theres a new one coming but my life is now, not tomorrow. Or so i believe)

now the search on a good OMD deal!....of course no big seller have good deals now. geez!.... oh well...

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Probably because to quote Muddy Waters, "I just can't be satisfied" :rolleyes:

I just like to experiment too much, never been one to stick with one piece of gear and wear it out. Like I said, I can't take my own advice :biggrin:

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    If I were on my way to Antarctica I'd probably pick up a DP2 Merrill.

That is all.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Best wishes to you and the bride. Two OM-D's will make photojournalism style photography much easier (if you are so inclined) ... but you give up stealth. (Photojournalism covers a ton of stuff from sports to entertainment to travel to breaking news to et al.) If I was into lanscapes, I'd go medium format. I've recently pick-up a XPro1. It is much different than the OM-D. For me the Fuji is not different good or different bad, just different. The XP1 is not nearly as responsive as the Oly. The OM-D enables one to consistency capture the exceptional image, the decisive moment, 'The Shot', nearly in a reactionary mode for the photog. For me, the XP1 is an anticipatory camera. I have to think and anticipate about the shot much more than the OM-D. Partially because I am very low on the Fuji learning curve, but also because the Fuji is a slower handling/performing camera. There are times when I want to shoot fast, shoot like a photojournalist and I grab the OM-D's. Other times it feels good to slow down, to shoot slow, to think, to figure out, anticipate and set-up for 'The Shot'. A medium format camera will cause me to slow down and give greater thought to the image than a FF.

Good luck and enjoy Chile.
    Gary

PS- I tried shooting two cameras with an OM-D and the XP1, I didn't enjoy the experience. Probably a similar as an OM-D and EPM2.
    G

PPS- If/When you go MF be sure to also pick up a hand held meter. It will slow you down even further ... slowing down is different than waiting.
    G

• Like Like x 1
  13. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    While Medium Format for landscape sounds fun (if expensive), Antarctica is sort of unique landscape location; most of my best shots were 'action landscape' photography, shot either from a moving ship (relatively stable, but handheld is better than tripod there) or, worse, from a rubber dinghy (Zodiac). You also don't have unlimited time unless you're going on a cruise that's specifically focused on photographers. One of my travel mates, an experienced medium format shooter (Hasselblad) had quite a bit of trouble with his gear (mechanical problems due to the cold) and it 'missed' quite a few opportunities because the circumstance didn't allow shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My MF recommendation for landscape was not based upon Antarctica specific, but upon landscape in general. I've never heard of a photographic genre named "action lanscape" ... I guess a lava flow might qualify. When I worked above the Arctic Circle, I was shooting film (mechanical cameras). The camera repair guys removed all the liquid lubricants (grease) and replaced with solid lubricants (graphite). My Nikons held up and performed much better in the cold than I.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Lots of great posts in this thread. I'd only add that I think there's a real benefit to having both an Olympus and a Panasonic body. They do different things somewhat better. The G5 is not much behind either the OM-D or the GH3, and is a good value these days. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thanks Gordon for easing up my decision. :biggrin: I was quite interested in this little guys, but all the downside reviews that if it wasnt because of its IQ, they are pretty crappy cameras (according to reviewers, not me). I wonder. If im going to get my MF in a near future, whats the point of getting a camera, that yes, i know it has one of the best, if not the best IQ in compact cameras, but quirky and limited for what i shoot. When i get the MF camera i would sell the Sigma but then i wont get not even half of what i paid. While if i get the MF camera i wouldnt sell my OMD as is a different beast.

I dont know. I gotta say, you got me thinking now. :confused::biggrin:

Thanks Gary for jumping in and giving your advice. I agree with you. I once jumped on the Fuji wagon way before getting my first m43 camera. I totally hated it. It was the first X100 before all the updates. That thing would not focus anything faster than a snail (oK that might be too much, but you get the idea). And pretty much you nailed what i love about the OMD from any other camera in the market. Including DSLRs and what not. which is a mixture of size-quickness-IQ. I just simply get the shot, when I want, not when the camera wants. and for me that is priceless.
    Also my photos will end up printed in a A3 book were i believe pretty much any "new" camera we own wouldn't show much IQ difference in between X and Y. When i get the MF i will print big. Not that I cant with the OMD but then yes, I want that extra detail and richness in my photos that only MF can.

PS: I already got my sekonic in my bag! no joke.

Agree, another point for the OMD and its weather sealing. I also own the P12-35 which i love, to make it a full weather sealed combo. as for the MF, cant speak as of yet, I used to shoot MF with film till a year or so ago, never had problems with the weather. My Mamiya did everything from snow, water, humid forests, etc. I even had the "electronic" light meter prism with it. no problems. but then i havent shot with the Digital MF yet!. will see! :drinks:

I agree with you. But i think that having two different UI within the same format somehow kills the point IMHO. Is like shooting Canon and Nikon (but sharing the mount) at the same time. I do get what you say about price-performance and the GH3 is as good as the OMD. agreed. But i simply could not bond with Panasonic UI. Actually the GX1 was almost my first camera when i came to m43-land. didnt like it.

And also, personally, i dont like the "mini-dslr" shape of the G-GH series. I know im just talking about design here and not performance, but if it was for design, im definitely more inclined for something like Fuji, Olympus rather than Panasonic, Nikon, Canon. please note that im talking about design only!. :thumbup:

17. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I have to agree with you, I went with a OMD and a D800 with a 24-70 2.8 for doing my landscape photography. I thought about getting another OMD, but I love shooting landscapes and the D800 was just made for that type of photography. I can always shoot the D800 as a back up body in situations where I need a back up to my OMD, or the D800 can be the main body with the OMD as a back up if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I keep hoping Canon will eventually up its sensor game and give me something like the D800, so I can just keep the 35L, 135L and 24-105, add a Zeiss 21 and be done for landscape. I really, really like high res images. I could probably trade in the whole Canon kit and get enough to buy a D800, 12-24 and a couple of slightly longer primes, but I really do love my Canon glass (and user interface)....

19. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    For a few years I shot with Canon, but their flash system just gave me fits... I like shooting with the Nikon flash system. If I could have used the Nikon flash on the Canon, I probably would have kept my Canon system. :eek: