1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Second Attempt at Car Shots!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by twokatmew, Apr 3, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Last Wednesday I took a short road trip to the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. Unfortunately their 1948 Tucker Torpedo (Waltz Blue) was on loan and thus not on display. But there are a lot of very cool cars there. I shot over 100 frames, but I've only chosen a few for processing thus far.

This time I used the Panny 14/2.5 instead of the Oly 17/2.8, so I was able to include more of each car in most shots. This museum is quite dimly lit, so next time I'll bring my tripod! Anyway, here are the five shots I've processed so far ... using my new Nik Collection, though the last two photos do have a little Topaz in them. :smile: I have to say I'm really impressed with Dfine and Viveza, though Color Efex Pro is awfully good too.

As this is only my second attempt at car shots, I 'd appreciate CC, especially from the veteran car shooters here. :biggrin:

1930 Ford Model A Hot Rod

1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

1958 Chevy Corvette Concept Car

2. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    well done, I like them a lot

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thank you! :biggrin:

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    All excellent shots!

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nice work, Margaret. I'm not any expert on car shots (or photography in general for that matter), so please take my feedback with a grain of salt.

First off, it's pretty apparent that the lighting was challenging. I like the framing of the 3/4 shots of the Model A and the Thunderbird. The frontal shot of the Model A doesn't really grab me, perhaps because I'm distracted by the line of the pillar on the left. While you can't do much about the pillar, I think perhaps an even lower shooting position would add more interest.

I realize this represents just a small sample of the images you made, but I find that often the car shots that I like best are those that don't attempt to show the entire vehicle, but rather zoom in on just an interesting detail or two (e.g. perhaps a shot with just the "gills" on the Thunderbird).

Another fun thing to do is to shoot one vehicle in the reflection of another. If you look at the front hubcap of the Model A you can see an opportunity for this type of shot with another coupe sitting nearby.

Beyond composition, I really like the post-processing you've done with these. The colors are pleasing and the pp is not too heavy handed.

Please post more of the set once you've had a chance to process them.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Keith, thanks so much for taking the time to critique my shots. Your comments are very helpful and have given me some things to think about for next time. :biggrin:

The two 3/4 shots you mention are the ones I like the best too. I almost trashed the frontal shot of the Model A after several attempts at PP, but I finally managed to bring more detail into the upper area of the car, and it started looking a bit better to me. I probably still would have trashed it, except that I *really* liked that hot rod... I too hate that pillar and the heavy shadow, not sure if I could do more with better PP skills or not. :wink:

Heheh. Last time I took many shots of parts of cars and not enough whole bodies. This time I concentrated on whole bodies. Sadly, the few shots I took of parts of cars didn't come out well at all. :frown:

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd never been to this museum before, and I was like a kid in a candy store with all the cool cars and displays. As I looked through my shots, I wished even more I'd brought my tripod. Not only could I have avoided shooting at such high ISO, but it would have slowed me down. And when I work more slowly, I work better, think more, and take better shots. :redface:

Thank you, and will do! :biggrin:

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thank you! :smile:

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    And I will say, I am not a fan of partial car shots in MOST cases, rather I believe the entire car should be present in all its beauty, then maybe some partial shots of whatever interesting details can be done to accompany the full car shot.

Just my method, I know it isn't for everyone.

The 14mm flat out rocks, you used it nicely. Great color, and I love the shadows and dimly lit areas. For car shots I prefer dimly lit rooms. I don't like bright light, or the bright sun, I don't see the light given here as a challenge at all, but just perfect.

I know I don't think like most, but there is beauty in the darkness, in the shadows, just as there is beauty in silence. Many moons ago I studied classical guitar at Pimentel Guitars, and I learned the beauty in silence, as I learned to read music, there is what is called a rest, where no notes are played, and the silence often made the piece of music, as opposed to playing many notes, This is in me and it transfers to my photos, there is beauty in the shadows and darkness.

I really like your shots, I understand how diffulcult composition can be in this type of setting, one that you can't control, so I have no issues with a composition seen in any of the images, when I look at them I get two feelings, one - you did capture the cars beauty, two- I can really sense you had tons of fun, and thats what it's all about.

I enjoy the angles you used, I have always said, get down low and on the cars level, as if you are another car and looking at the subject, this should been done for pet shots, so also cars. I don't like images where it looks like somebody is just standing there shooting a image, thos can be ok, and I do a few, but the beauty is getting on the cars level, looking with your eyes at the cars features and body lines, and then capturing that.

Most of all, it must be fun, and not a chore, when its fun, thats when the magic happens.

HepKitty

9. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Love the shots so far. You need to go back when they have the Tucker (I love that car!).

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Bravo - I like them all! :bravo-009:

11. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Great pictures! Seeing you are in Michigan, I assume you've been to the Henry Ford museum? If not, that is another great place to see cars. And if you like to attend a cruise, a less hairy place than Woodward is 28th St in Grand Rapids mid August. Several thousand cars to be shot there. :thumbup:

12. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Indeed...:) Another musical example is Frank Sinatra, most of his genius was in his phrasing, specifically in the pauses.

This quote gets trotted out a lot, but that doesn't take away the truth of it;

"In anything at all, perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Back on topic, I like the OPs photos quite a bit, and a lot of that has to do with how well she kept the compositions simple, and let the cars have room to breathe.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hot Rods! I love the old school rides. Thanks for the pics.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My PP skills are certainly not such that I could do anything about that pillar and frankly, I'm not really sure it would be worth the effort if I could.

I definitely know what your mean about working more slowly. I often shoot with adapted manual focus lenses just so that I'll be forced to slow down and be more contemplative in my shooting.

Your post reminded me that I need to get down to the LeMay Museum, which I've been meaning to do since it opened last June. When I make it down there I'll try to post some of my shots and you can provide your critique.

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Wow. Many moons ago I studied classical guitar with Joe Fava who worked with Pimentel to build guitars for his students. Had I not fallen in love with the sound of a guitar in a music shop on Woodward Avenue, I'd have been playing a custom-made Pimentel. And I agree about rests. :biggrin:

Thank you, Lucille! This means a lot coming from you. :smile:

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks! Actually the Tucker is the car I *really* wanted to shoot. I happened to mention this to the clerk who admitted us, and as she told us the Tucker was on loan (arriving back the very next day!), she gave us free admission passes to go back and see the Tucker. Next time I'll call to make sure it's on display. My first attempt at car shots was at Stahl's. They have Tucker #1015 on display. The lighting was very different at Stahl's, but you can see my first shots here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/100183747971194719226/albums/5815938732741243761?banner=pwa

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thank you, RichDesmond and speedandstyle! :smile:

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Actually I've not yet visited the Henry Ford. It's on my list though! :smile:
    Woodward was pretty hairy back in the late '70s when I lived in the area. I can only imagine how it is today! I've been to 28th St. in Grand Rapids but not in August ... yet. There's a Scandinavian furniture store nearby where I like to "window shop." :biggrin:

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, once I've seen all the car museums in Michigan, I'll have to start taking road trips out of state. There's a train museum in Owosso, MI, and I want to try my hand at some train shots too. :smile:

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks everyone for your CC. I really appreciate it. I'll post more in the next day or two. :biggrin: