I had a chance to visit Seattle for work last week; my first travel in more than 18 months. In between the meetings and seminars, I wandered off around the city. Here are a few images. Most pics taken with GX8 and either Laowa 7.5/2 or PL 15/1.7, with a couple from Olympus 45/1.8 and 40-150R. PIC HEAVY.

A view north from Sky View Observatory in the Columbia Center building
P2110481-HDR-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Scraping the sky
P2110796-HDR-Edit.jpg

An urban oasis with the quirky Public Library building in the background

P2110667-HDR-Pano-Edit-2.jpg
A 'maze' in Freeway Park
P2110848-HDR-Pano-Edit.jpg

A fantastic view of downtown from Kerry Park
P2110886-HDR-Edit.jpg

A night time view of downtown from Jose P. Rizal Bridge
P2120205-Pano-Edit.jpg

Smith Tower, the oldest skyscraper in the city (completed 1914), and one of the few outside NYC or Chicago at the time.
P2120282-HDR-Edit.jpg

King Street Station on the southern fringe of downtown
P2120495-HDR-Edit.jpg

Obligatory shot of the Space Needle
P2120525-HDR-Edit.jpg

Pike Place Public Market
P2120609-HDR-Edit.jpg

Some of the wares inside the Public Market
P2130139-Edit.jpg

A rare clear morning allowed a glimpse of Mt. Ranier
P2120747-HDR-Edit.jpg

Late afternoon
P2120915-HDR-Edit.jpg

The Spheres, part of Amazon's nature themed 2-story workspace in downtown
P2130287-HDR-Edit.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this walkabout. Cheers!

Real Name
Andrew L
Nice shots! I love Seattle. Had a chance to increase the amount of time I've spent there this year, as my wife and I have gone up to visit her sister who's working up there. My favorite city I've spent time in.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Seattle is an enigma. Beautiful in some spots and trashed a couple of blocks away from the beauty. My step-daughter lived there for several years but moved back to the heartland a few years back. I have been there a couple of times for longer visits and overall, I like it but the rain would stop me from living there.

Real Name
Andrew L
Seattle is an enigma. Beautiful in some spots and trashed a couple of blocks away from the beauty. My step-daughter lived there for several years but moved back to the heartland a few years back. I have been there a couple of times for longer visits and overall, I like it but the rain would stop me from living there.
The homeless problem is worse in Seattle than most cities. However most of those people are just trying to live, though there can be dangerous situations that arise (and hard drugs are bad). There are a few areas to avoid, for sure (including Pioneer Square - last time we were up there, it was completely emptied and fenced off). Homelessness is an unsightly result of bigger societal problems. But I don't think it is necessarily nearly as much of a threat to bodily safety as, say, tenement towns where a lot of crime is taking place. It's just much starker looking because the contrast between affluent and transient is so glaring.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
You know it's surprisingly not the rain that is an issue for most folks who move here. Rain is just a fact of life here (except during summer when it almost never rains). It very rarely rains HARD here. For the most part Seattleites get used to just putting on a hooded rain jacket and going about our lives in a light drizzle. That's an easy adjustment for most.

But the short winter days (half of Canadians live further south than Seattle) and the long stretches of gloomy weather we often endure in the winter months are what really push people over the brink.

- K

Real Name
Andrew L
You know it's surprisingly not the rain that is an issue for most folks who move here. Rain is just a fact of life here (except during summer when it almost never rains). It very rarely rains HARD here. For the most part Seattleites get used to just putting on a hooded rain jacket and going about our lives in a light drizzle. That's an easy adjustment for most.

But the short winter days (half of Canadians live further south than Seattle) and the long stretches of gloomy weather we often endure in the winter months are what really push people over the brink.

- K
I had noticed how people here on the southern Oregon coast tended to say things like "yeah, we get a lot of rain, but, you know, at least we get less than Seattle." And when I went and checked on average rainfall, we get more than Seattle. :rolleyes:

For the record, I love light rain that a jacket will stop. That's my ideal weather, actually. I grew up in bone-dry California desert.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Yeah, you folks don’t wanna come to Western Washington. The rain. The gloom. Nothing interesting to photograph. I mean, DP Review is headquartered in Seattle - what more do you need to know?

Especially do not come in the summer, when you will get that inauthentic warm-and-sunny experience. And the fresh salmon and ripe berries are plentiful in the markets. And the daylight lasts for sixteen hours, then lets you sleep for eight. It’s just awful! And remember that 9 in 10 U.S. citizens live further south than Seattle.

You have been warned. ;)

Oh, yeah. @Kalifornier , nice pix!

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I had noticed how people here on the southern Oregon coast tended to say things like "yeah, we get a lot of rain, but, you know, at least we get less than Seattle." And when I went and checked on average rainfall, we get more than Seattle. :rolleyes:

For the record, I love light rain that a jacket will stop. That's my ideal weather, actually. I grew up in bone-dry California desert.
Yeah, the list of cities that get more precip than Seattle is a long one. Although Seattle might have more overcast/rainy days than most other places.

I've lived a lot of places (Montana, Virgin Islands, Central California, Massachusetts, etc.) and traveled to lots more and the list of places that I would judge to have "better" weather than Seattle is very short. That said, I don't like hot weather (really anything over 75F) nor snow - you don't have to shovel rain.

Mostly we just go with the "Seattle's really rainy" thing to keep people from moving here. Lately, though, the housing prices (and everything prices, for that matter) do a lot of that work for us.

- K

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Especially do not come in the summer, when you will get that inauthentic warm-and-sunny experience. And the fresh salmon and ripe berries are plentiful in the markets. And the daylight lasts for sixteen hours, then lets you sleep for eight. It’s just awful! And remember that 9 in 10 U.S. citizens live further south than Seattle.
Unfortunately, I do not care much for salmon but fresh berries are nice but even in the hinterlands, we seem to get a lot of them. The drizzly, cold days during winter with long periods of no sun would make go batty. I also have a vintage Porsche 911 SC Targa which generally stays with the top off, in the garage in the cold, and definitely not driven in rain or snow. Hell, if I lived there I would either never drive it for 3/4 of the year or be at the car wash every day that I got caught in the mist.

I do love the scenery, the things to do, the beautiful campus for the University of Washington, the markets but I do almost get a severe case of "will it ever end" when we occasionally get a day or two in a row of rain. It would be perfect if I liked water sports or boating but I do not. The space needle is not something I would go to more than twice in my life since it is nice but it is just a building. Some of the parks near Seattle would be my hangouts if the mist would just go away. I would live in Ireland if I could take the daily showers but I stay where I am accustomed. Much as those natives of Seattle must think I am daft.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Most pics taken with GX8 and either Laowa 7.5/2 or PL 15/1.7, with a couple from Olympus 45/1.8 and 40-150R. PIC HEAVY.
So back to the photos themselves, to me it looks like you use HDR in a lot of the shots (outdoor daytime ones). Curious if you were using an in camera HDR setting or do you do it all in post? And if the later, does this mean you are bracketing all your shots most of the time? Or working on RAW file to create over and underexposed versions?

Real Name
Walter
I had a chance to visit Seattle for work last week; my first travel in more than 18 months. In between the meetings and seminars, I wandered off around the city. Here are a few images. Most pics taken with GX8 and either Laowa 7.5/2 or PL 15/1.7, with a couple from Olympus 45/1.8 and 40-150R. PIC HEAVY.

A view north from Sky View Observatory in the Columbia Center building
View attachment 908621
Scraping the sky
View attachment 908624
An urban oasis with the quirky Public Library building in the background

View attachment 908622 A 'maze' in Freeway Park
View attachment 908625
A fantastic view of downtown from Kerry Park
View attachment 908626
A night time view of downtown from Jose P. Rizal Bridge
View attachment 908629
Smith Tower, the oldest skyscraper in the city (completed 1914), and one of the few outside NYC or Chicago at the time.
View attachment 908630
King Street Station on the southern fringe of downtown
View attachment 908632
Obligatory shot of the Space Needle
View attachment 908633
Pike Place Public Market
View attachment 908634
Some of the wares inside the Public Market View attachment 908638
A rare clear morning allowed a glimpse of Mt. Ranier
View attachment 908635
Late afternoon
View attachment 908636
The Spheres, part of Amazon's nature themed 2-story workspace in downtown
View attachment 908639

Hope you enjoyed this walkabout. Cheers!

I've been to Seattle too, but traveling with family, didn't quite have the latitude to wander to get photos. Great shots! And, good weather too! Loved that shot with Mt. Rainier in the background.

So back to the photos themselves, to me it looks like you use HDR in a lot of the shots (outdoor daytime ones). Curious if you were using an in camera HDR setting or do you do it all in post? And if the later, does this mean you are bracketing all your shots most of the time? Or working on RAW file to create over and underexposed versions?
I was bracketing most of times since in downtown areas, there was always some shadow because of the buildings.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was bracketing most of times since in downtown areas, there was always some shadow because of the buildings.
Ya that is what I immediately noticed, the lack of shadows where you would expect them (plus that slight look you get with HDR photos which looks, well I don't have a word for it, but it is the look you get with the more subtle ones like yours).

My problem is I don't have a lot of patience for a lot of post processing in my photos, so I rarely bracket let alone on a normal basis. Of course part of that may be my lack of skills for anything beyond the basics in post processing, which in turn is probably caused for my lack of patience to learn it. Sort of a circular logic there where each prevents the other from happening. ;)

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I was also remiss in commenting on the images previously, getting tied up instead in discussing the weather. :rolleyes:

This is a absolutely cracking set of images. You basically ticked off every iconic image of the city in a single visit. You make me feel like an layabout (which is not inaccurate) as I've lived here for a quarter century and couldn't conjure such a thorough set of Seattle icons from my catalog.

I appreciate that you also included the "sinking ship" and Uncle Jeff's balls in the set. I'm a bit surprised your Freeway Park image is free of tweakers and addicts. Did you have to remove some in post?

- K

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
We never go to Seattle so thanks for the vicarious visit :)

Hell, it would be awful damn crowded here if everyone wanted to live here.
[rant]
Seems like everyone IS moving here. Traffic is the worst compared to anywhere you measure it. Sometimes it takes an hour to try to sneak by on I405. Strip malls are approaching Arlington to the north and continue past Olympia south. Why anyone would want to live in rainy Issaquah or North Bend is beyond me but the hills are now covered in subdivisions and continuing to spread east. People are even commuting over the pass.

Our little rural corner of the PacNW is growing like crazy since people realized that they could live anywhere. Wish they would leave their urban expectations back in the city. (can't get a latte 24/7)
[/rant]

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Wait, how do you LIVE without somewhere to get an espresso at 3am, Mike? ;)

- K
If you are desperate or not too picky, get an evil pod machine and make your own. Latte is maybe a little harder, but artful cappuccino is beyond my skill.

IMG_20190424_082820702.jpg

IMG_20200227_142631708_HDR.jpg

Hold on. I can’t seem to stay on topic anymore. What were we supposed to be discussing?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom