1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Seattle Centreal libery.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ke7dbx, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Taken with the EP3 and the kit lens.

books_have_dimonds_by_mackingster-d4dd36h.

dimands_have_shadows__by_mackingster-d4dd4ai.

dimond_windows__by_mackingster-d4dd4ug.

diomands_have_mesh_by_mackingster-d4dd3qe.

in_the_high_places__by_mackingster-d4dd5fr.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Love your photos, but have my doubts about the library. There is an escalator inside that skips two floors. What's up with that! The architect should come to Phoenix and see a better public library, also of five floors, which cost half as much.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't find that library too inviting. It feels like it was purposely built to be uncomfortable. I went there shortly after it was built (I only live 90 miles away) and left wondering what the point was. It's very striking looking but a library serves a very important purpose in a community (or SHOULD) and IMHO that one misses the mark.

The images OTOH are wonderful. I especially like the first one.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    We get to Seattle pretty often, with a daughter and a lot of old friends there (we lived there for many years) and I like the library. Its funky, to be sure, but it seems very well used - I've never been there when there weren't PLENTY of folks around. That suggests to me that the design is working well enough for the locals.

I like these photos a lot, particularly the first and last (I must have missed that perspective when I was there). I'll add three from a visit there in August...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6034100618/" title="Seattle Public Library by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="Seattle Public Library"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6033524501/" title="The Library by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="The Library"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6033543377/" title="The Library by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="The Library"></a>

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  5. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I like it. I know a lot of people have complained about the design. Lot of people with the old one was still there. At least the space is used better. The EMP is a mess.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think the library being used is a matter of their not being any other alternatives in the downtown core. As I recall part of the design was to discourage homeless people from coming in and sleeping on the couches and chairs by making the furniture and spaces uncomfortable. The problem with that it that the it also applies to patrons as well. In addition, the upward spiraling book stacks (while cool looking) are a real chore if you are in a walker, chair or use a cane (neither my parents or in-laws can navigate them). I also find that the premium in that library is on the soaring architectural spaces and not the collection. I love interesting architecture but not at the expense of the main purpose of the thing it is supposed to house.

It does take a great picture though.

7. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Why are the bookshelves empty? I imagine a lot of web-surfing, but not much book-reading is going on...

8. ke7dbx

ke7dbx Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    This floor is for that purpose. Mainly for web surfing, job center is there now. And that is were most of the people come for searching threw the library Index.

The bottom floor is were a lot of the fiction books are. The higher floors are were the non-fiction is. Above this space you see in this photo.