1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Season's Greetings to all... Taking a load of cameras on a boat in the Arctic

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by avidone, Dec 13, 2011.

1. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Happy holidays to everyone here! In a couple of days I am off to Norway for a winter cruise on the Hurtigruten. I understand the on board Internet connection is rather miserable, so I may be out of touch for a couple of weeks.

Basically my carry- on luggage will be about 80% cameras and lenses: ep1, epl1, kit lens, 17, 40-150, grd1, and (eek!) a canon ( or is cannon more accurate) 20d that I picked up at the flea market for a song... Oh. And my yashinon 50/1.4 and adapters for pens and canon, since it will be Bloody Dark most of the time.... Remote release, tripod, waterproof case for GRD....

I must have forgotten something... Should I pack a film camera or two? Some more legacy glass?

Anyways, happy holidays and new year, and hope I will have some good aurora pics and such to show in a few weeks

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Too much stuff--I assume you are going on vacation and not a vendor at a used camera sale. Pack what you use most of the time and leave the rest at home.

3. But everybody's needs are different...

I knew a girl who travelled around the world for a year with her backpack one third full of books. She didn't think she had too many.

P.S. Avidone, sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Bon Voyage. On my first ( and only trip) to the Arctic, the camera repair guys removed all the liquid lubricants (grease) from my mechanical lenses and cameras and replaced them with solid lubricants (graphite). Don't think you'll have similar problems with all your electronic gear. If you'll be in the cold for any extended periods of time (a few hours) ... make sure you take extra batteries. I'd store them in or near my armpits for warmth. When the cold kills the working batteries do a quick switch. Toss the dead batteries back in the ol' armpits and when they warm up, they'll be good to go again.

And when transitioning from cold to warm and warm to cold throw the cameras and lenses into zip lock bags so they don't fog up.

Gary

PS- When in freezing weather, don't put your eye up to the EVF/Viewfinder, it won't come off until Spring.
    G

5. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Don't forget your Helios. It won't take up much room.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Because of the temeratures, I'd pass on the idea about bringing a film body. But - just as an insurance policy - how about picking up one of those tough, shockproof, freezeproof point and shoots? Panasonic's TS series tends to be rated the best right now.

7. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    thanks for the suggestions guys, but the temperatures should not be as frightening as many of you might think... even though the latitudes are similar to Alaska/Northernmost Canada, the Norwegian coast has weather still moderated by the gulfstream. It looks like at Bergen the temps now are hovering around 5 plus to maybe 1 below freezing (Centigrade), and maybe -5 or so up on the North Cape and Kirkenes-- nothing like the winter I was in Poland/Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania and temps were down around -30 or -40... still, the ziplock bag idea is a good one... I will toss a few into my bag.

What I am MORE worried about is low light/night shooting, much of which from a moving boat (so tripod does not help much), hence the fast 50 as well as native lenses.

I think days in Bergen now are about 3 hours long, then around when we cross the Arctic circle next Monday or Tuesday, the sun will set and we won't see it at all until about 6 days later when heading back south... mid "day" there may be some blue glow... OH, and it is one of the rainiest places on Earth, at least further south, so a bit below freezing is actually better than a bit above... -5 with dry snow is so much better than +0.5 with drizzle and slush

8. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    So how did the trip go? Viewing your flickr ... it seems that Northern Lights are difficult to capture when not on solid ground, and it's always dark.

9. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    The trip was great. The weather was really mild temperature-wise, usually around freezing up to 6 or 8 degrees C sometimes. The WIND, however, was something fierce-- one day at sea with force 9 to 11 winds (12= hurricane, to give an idea). Even in a big, stabilised ship it was a bit dramatic. Took more seasick pills than ever before in my life, as I am not usually very sensitive.

The auroras we saw were pretty faint, though covering much of the sky in moving patterns one night-- with the naked eye you could not usually even catch the colour, so they only showed as green on photos... and, yes, on a moving boat in rough, windy seas, it is a wonder that I caught any pics at all. The greatest was just to see a phenomenon I have never experienced before.

The COOLEST thing for me was the extended "Blue Hour." In Southern Europe and Israel, I am used to getting maybe 15 minutes of blue "hour" on a good day... above the Arctic Circle, most of the "daytime" was various shades of blue hour with maybe some "golden hour" in the middle.

So, overall, I was satisfied. Even if I did not catch great pics of Auroras, I did learn how to get decent night-time photos with my equipment, and that is something I don;t need to go so far away to enjoy regularly.