Searching Site and Appropriate Galleries

Discussion in 'Site information' started by oz3d, Apr 13, 2010.

1. oz3d

oz3d Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    As a new user I have had some difficulties in using the forum.

Hope you don't mind me asking the following even though the answers may be simple but I have had trouble fining any FAQ's.

Yesterday I uploaded a file to self portraits gallery thinking it expired in November.

It may be that the date is US style and therefore expires 11 April (before I uploaded).

I searched for it today but could not find it under the keywords I used. How do I use search to find the keywords in the Galleries?

I am also not sure what happens to the uploads after the date by which they are to be uploaded to a date limited gallery expires.

Is the thread deleted with the images?

How do I locate the image?

Can the images be moved to other galleries (more appropriate to the subject matter or having expired) and if so how?

Can the images be deleted (for example to allow other uploads if you exceed your quota) and if so how?

Can you edit the gallery comments you sent with the upload and how?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Aha, you must have uploaded your photos to the "Image Quest" gallery for this past week's quest (assignment) that was called Self Portrait. It's here: https://www.mu-43.com/gallery/g817-self-portrait-ends-4-2f11-2f10.html You'd get to those Image Quest galleries by using the Gallery tab and scrolling all the way to the bottom.

The Image Quest is a weekly "quest" or assignment that anyone who wants to can join... It's "expired" because this week's quest is over. Within the Image Works forum, which is only open to registered members, there are several stickies at the top... and the Image Quest ones usually change from week to week.

In the Housekeeping forum, another members only forum, there are several stickies that are important to read that explain how the Gallery system works, how you can embed photos via attachments, the gallery system or by linking through sites like Flickr. Take a look at them, if you haven't already, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. In the meantime, I hope this is of some help to you. I know it can be a little confusing at first.:flowers_2:

3. oz3d

oz3d Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks - that was the place.

But I still don't know answers to the following even after reading the FAQ's again:-

Is the date Australian or US by default? (November or April for 4/11/10)?

What happens at the end of the time – posts deleted or not?

Why do the keywords not come up in a search?

Can the images be moved to other galleries (more appropriate to the
    subject matter or having expired) and if so how?

Can the images be deleted (for example to allow other uploads if you
    exceed your quota) and if so how?

Thanks

4. BBW

I don't think Don AKA Streetshooter is too concerned about the exactness of the date of the uploads for the Quest...this is a pretty loose group. If you're specifically asking about these Image Quest assignments, then it would be best to post on the current thread - the one about the garden. You ought to ask him there about whether or not the galleries are eventually going to be deleted. I certainly would not expect mu-43.com to be my sole repository for photos.

Key words are dependent upon tags, I believe. The search function does work but it is dependent upon the titles of the threads or words within...and probably tags, too. Unfortunately not all titles are that helpful but we try to encourage people to choose their titles with care...and also try to add in tags. Since this is a volunteer organization, we do the best we can and hope to improve.:wink:

The way the gallery system works you must upload to a gallery...you can then use the "My Photos" [Insert] option which is just below the Smilies to insert those photos into any post. However you can't move photos from one gallery to another, you must upload the photos to the galleries you wish them to be in.

To delete a photo you go into the gallery in which your photo resides, click on your photo and then you'll see "Photo Options" and the drop down list includes an option to delete the image - you must choose Edit Photo and then look at the box that opens, check off the appropriate box and follow the steps - the image will be deleted from that gallery.

I hope this helps.:smile:

5. oz3d

oz3d Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks so much - I am enjoying this site.

6. BBW

You're more than welcome.:flowers_2: