Searching for the "perfect" mini tripod - XILETU XS-20 as a finallist? What's Yours?

Real Name
Walter
I agree, I have the Ultrapod II and it lives in my camera bag. A very useful little thing. Very well designed, too: the tilting part of the head is ratcheted and stays firm if you unscrew the head just a bit to slightly adjust the ball. If you need to adjust the tilt, just unscrew it some more.

I have an Ultrapod II and the velcro strap just broke. I'll have to figure out how to replace it or leave it off altogether. It's a few years old, but that strap is definitely a weak point. Good idea to check the strap and make sure it'll still hold before strapping your camera to a tree branch or railing.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I have a bit of a mini Tripod affliction ... In the mail heading this way is the Oben CTT-1000 Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod. It is a bit bigger than the FLM CP10 and hope it will still be small enough for me to want to carry around! -16 in. max height, folded 11 in., weight 445g-
View attachment 790519

I will not speak of the others that came before and I fully understand this is an incurable disease!!

Cheers!
Yeah, I have a tripod affliction too, although mainly for the full-size or "travel" type. The Oben CTT-1000 is on sale right now at B&H for $85. I got one and like it very much. It's larger than some of the "pocket" types in this thread, but it's one of the nicest table-top tripods I've seen. Carbon fiber, with mostly metal fittings. So it's pretty fine for the money, I think. :)

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
I use two small tripods. A Manfrotto Pixi EVO 2 which I love as a travel (always bring) tripod

https://www.manfrotto.com/nl-en/pixi-evo-2-section-mini-tripod-black-light-and-compact-mtpixievo-bk/

And I have a Sirui T-025x as my compact tripod if photography is the goal of the day but I don’t expect to need a tripod (but may come in handy).

https://www.siruiusa.com/mobile/photographic/t05s.html?cid=2&id=86

If I know my photography depends on a tripod (landscape / long exposure) I bring the full size Sirui W-2204.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I agree that Sirui travel tripods (and full-sized too) are very good.

For travel, I prefer the T-04s series (T-004SK for aluminum; T-024SK for cf):

https://www.siruiusa.com/index/photographic/t04s.html

because they have a center column that slides thru the center collar and is reversible (as with a full-sized tripod), instead of just mounting on the top as with the t-25x.

Edit: The t-04s total length when collapsed is longer than the t-05 series, however, because the t-04 series has only 4 sections instead of 5. So the t-04s are less portable, but the fewer sections means the bottom section of the t-04 series is thicker, which is a slight advantage for stability.

Last edited:

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
Yes the T-04/T-024 serie tripods are a better middel ground between portability and the functionality of a full size tripod.

The T-025 does have some compromises to make it as small as it is. But to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of the center column. Would be great if you could leave the center column off, but then the ball head interference with the folding legs. But for probability it's great and the stability is ample for smaller lighter systems like m43 (and Fuji x100t for which I use the tripod most of the time).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My stable. Excuse the image quality. Found a Canon Powershot A560 in the garage. I won't be using it as my main camera right now - but it will do for the car :)

1) Minolta TR-1 Leitz copy

View attachment 791105

View attachment 791106

2) Velbon Mini Tripod

All metal tripod with 3-way pan and tilt head.

One of these on ebay.com right now - baragain price, but US-UK shipping too rich for me. They are handy for positioning flashguns as well as cameras - I'd use another one.

View attachment 791107

View attachment 791108

View attachment 791109
I bought one of those Velbons in France last century. Maybe 40 plus years ago. It is fine. As said, great for off camera flash, or holding an ipad.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
Culmann Copter.
Nikon 200mm F4 with PN-01 tube and .71 speed booster on GX85. Just for show.
diag 3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter
I have an Ultrapod II and the velcro strap just broke. I'll have to figure out how to replace it or leave it off altogether. It's a few years old, but that strap is definitely a weak point. Good idea to check the strap and make sure it'll still hold before strapping your camera to a tree branch or railing.

I have some news on the UltraPod II and Velcro strap front. It has been sitting around while I backburnered finding a solution to the broken strap replacement. I didn't want to just glue or sew on another piece of hook Velcro because who know if any other part of the strap would break? But, while accompanying my wife to a fabric/sewing store to get material for making COVID masks, I saw this Velcro All-Purpose Strap on the rack. I thought, that could be it!

I am happy to say that the strap is an almost exact fit for the UltraPod II strap and it was easier than expected to replace. See the pix. Click to see bigger.

Sorry, tried to get this upright, but it just wouldn't.
IMG_3364c.jpg

The broken original strap from the UltraPod II. It snapped right where the hook and the plush part joined. I thought the strap itself was glued to the UltraPod, but it isn't. It threads through two slots on the top of the central leg.
IMG_3367.jpg

The new strap threaded through two slots on the central leg. You can see the slots if you look carefully. Perfect fit.
IMG_3368.jpg

Replacement strap rolled back into place. One uses the strap to hold it together and to wrap around objects, like a railing or tree branch. One could use the UltraPod without the strap, but it's a big part of its versatility. All fixed and ready to go. Let's hope it lasts longer than the original, but now I know it's easy to fix. But, before you strap your camera and lens to a tree, make sure the strap is in good shape. :)
IMG_3369.jpg

I guess if you have some thin nylon or polyester strapping and buckles, you could make your own replacement strap that would be even stronger.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom