Searching for the "perfect" mini tripod - XILETU XS-20 as a finallist? What's Yours?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
My wife had this in one of the 28 pockets of her handbag, when going through airport customs in Frankfurt, on the way to China. The bag went through 3 times before being stripped of everything. She was taken off to be searched for being awkward and obstructive. They thought it was part of a gun mechanism in plastic with metal springs.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I used to take a Twelve South iPad stand that folds up into something looking like a knife. I used to just show it to the TSA guys every time I went through. Most thought it was pretty cool.

Real Name
Richard
My wife had this in one of the 28 pockets of her handbag, when going through airport customs in Frankfurt, on the way to China. The bag went through 3 times before being stripped of everything. She was taken off to be searched for being awkward and obstructive. They thought it was part of a gun mechanism in plastic with metal springs.

View attachment 790627
Could be worse. A squaddie on security duty at Earls Court for the London Olympics insisted I drop my trousers to prove I'd had a hip operation. Then my wife (with metal knee) pitched up behind me wearing a battery pack and wiring loom connected to her TENS machine which was clipped to her bra.

That's a clever camera support by the way. I lost mine.

Real Name
Richard
I would take a lot of convincing to invest in one of those.

Piece of metal with a 3/8 screw with holes to allow the insertion of what are essentially four big self tapping screws.

It's a good enough idea. I doubt if I could knock together a decent tripod without a good selection of metal working tools and some expert instruction, but I reckon even someone as incompetent as me could knock one of those together with the aid of a drill and a file and save themselves $$$s.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
I would take a lot of convincing to invest in one of those.

Piece of metal with a 3/8 screw with holes to allow the insertion of what are essentially four big self tapping screws.

It's a good enough idea. I doubt if I could knock together a decent tripod without a good selection of metal working tools and some expert instruction, but I reckon even someone as incompetent as me could knock one of those together with the aid of a drill and a file and save themselves $$$s.
Agree. A member here made his own version and posted the picture. May have been Mike Wingate, not sure.

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is the Leofoto MT-03 + LH25 that I'm using. Very light and sturdy and takes 1/4" accessories.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Talking pounds or 100's of grams in the same sentence as "mini tripod" is an oxymoron IMHO. I carry this and if I need a big tripod I carry an Ultrapod. :)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Agree. A member here made his own version and posted the picture. May have been Mike Wingate, not sure.
Useful.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
The XILETU is sold under a variety of different brands. I agree the design just works and works very well.
that's b/c they are copies (or ripoffs) of an existing brand, so the R&D was already done

the RRS is the best of the bunch - you may not need it or want to pay for it

I have 3 mini tripods:

the little clamp pod with plastic legs for my RX100 or GM5

an older (metal) Man-Frodo for tabletop use

and the Traveler Gitzo with the Markins ballhead designed for it

+ a home-made ground pod ( a very low rent piece of plywood - nothing as nice as Mike's above)

(at some point, you make like Stanley Kubrick and dig a hole for the camera)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Octopad

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That one went on sale on Adorama a year or two back for something like $14 or some such and it was posted here. I picked one up. I actually use it for off camera flash work in cemeteries. I mount my old Oly FL-36 on top of a cheapo radio trigger receiver and then than on top of this OctoPad. I can then then plop it down on the ground to the side and slightly in front of old grave stones to side light them during the day. It can really make the inscription POP when normally it would be virtually unreadable. Very handy.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
that's b/c they are copies (or ripoffs) of an existing brand, so the R&D was already done
A particularly negative view. We're discussing a tripod. Typically having 3 legs and one of two methods of attachment. Been like that for far longer than RRS has even existed.

Its like that because the company that manufacturers it sells to a variety of different brands. They are not copying each other. They are all selling the same product. Nothing wrong with that.

Real Name
Richard
My stable. Excuse the image quality. Found a Canon Powershot A560 in the garage. I won't be using it as my main camera right now - but it will do for the car :)

1) Minolta TR-1 Leitz copy

2) Velbon Mini Tripod

All metal tripod with 3-way pan and tilt head.

One of these on ebay.com right now - baragain price, but US-UK shipping too rich for me. They are handy for positioning flashguns as well as cameras - I'd use another one.

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
My stable. Excuse the image quality. Found a Canon Powershot A560 in the garage. I won't be using it as my main camera right now - but it will do for the car :)

1) Minolta TR-1 Leitz copy

View attachment 791105

View attachment 791106

2) Velbon Mini Tripod

All metal tripod with 3-way pan and tilt head.

One of these on ebay.com right now - baragain price, but US-UK shipping too rich for me. They are handy for positioning flashguns as well as cameras - I'd use another one.

View attachment 791107

View attachment 791108

View attachment 791109
I have a full sized Velbon that looks very similar, only taller. Mine is 40 years old.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
A particularly negative view. We're discussing a tripod. Typically having 3 legs and one of two methods of attachment. Been like that for far longer than RRS has even existed.

Its like that because the company that manufacturers it sells to a variety of different brands. They are not copying each other. They are all selling the same product. Nothing wrong with that.
sorry - I disagree - Manfroto made these for a long time before the copy cats appeared

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom