Searching for a special neck strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dede, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011

I just got my new Olympus E-PM1 and I removed the metal rings which are usually used to attach the neck strap, because they felt uncomfortable to me. Now my question is, whether there is any (good) neck strap that attaches just to these blank things that are left on the camera and to which the metal rings are usually attached.

Thanks in advance
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have used Gordy's straps and think they are good quality and value:

gordy's camera straps

If you like a more technical style, I have seen OP/Tech recommended around here. I have been thinking about picking up one of their compact straps:

OP/TECH USA Compact Strap Trio
    (not sure I would use the finger strap, lol, but I like the idea of quick disconnects for a wrist and neck/shoulder option)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks for the site, it looks great! The only thing I'm wondering about right now, is which strap would work for my E-PM1 then (remember I took the metal rings off)? I'd say either double-attach point string or the horizontal — lug-mount (are the rings to which you attach the strap to seen in the picture included), what do you think?

Thanks in advance
  4. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the E-PM1 would be light enough to use the string mount - either wrist strap, or string double attach mount neck strap, depending on what you want. For the "lug mount" wrist and neck straps, Gordy's options include a metal ring, so you wouldn't need the triangles that came with the Oly. I went with a lug mount wrist strap and then the o-ring bumper.
  5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    This is the setup that I have from Gordy's. It's a perfect wrist strap.

I have OP/Tech neck straps for both of my DSLR bodies, and the foam cushion is very easy on the neck and doesn't irritate when it gets sweaty.
  6. Optech

Use the OpTech with the mini quick release buckle. The string end slips through the narrow strap slot of the GF-1. Normally just use a wrist strap. The system allows quick & easy switch to the neck strap when necessary.
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I picked up the Domke Gripper strap. It's plain black and very rugged. It's a simple, but durable strap that can be had on Amazon for about $20.

Here's mine on the E-PM1:

They come with their own rings and leather padding. The o-rings are really easy to remove when you want to go strapless without having to dismantle the strap connectors.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Do you happen to know if you can get a sling that would support the mini buckle? I haven't been able to figure that out from their website... maybe would have to order custom.
  9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    A friend of mine has the fixed length Gordy neck-strap with string connectors on his EPL2 and it looks/works fantastic... I use a lug-mount Gordy wrist strap and after seeing how this works I wish I'd got the string version.

Keep in mind that the leather used with the Gordy straps takes a bit of use to 'age' - then it feels terrific :smile:

(sorry, this is the only shot I have of it...)
  10. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've just gone mad and ordered an Artisan & Artist cloth strap. Should be here in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks for all the great and quick awnser, I appreciate it! So I'm about to order either the gordy neck strap, or the Domke gripper strap, the only thing I'm wondering about, is whether they would be comfortable. I use a Flipbac G2 Grip on my E-PM1 and the metal rings that were on the camera just kept getting in my way so I took them off. So my question now basically is, whether you guys think the same thing will happen with the two straps I'm talking about. I can't really describe but the metal rings that were on default just felt so uncomfortable paired with my grip.

Thanks in advance
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just checked my domke gripper on my E-PM1 and I find the leather guard paired with the o-ring connector to have a very slim profile, though I don't have a flipbac so I couldn't tell you for sure how it would handle with that pairing. You could always order from Amazon and return it if you don't like it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Yes. The way I solved that years ago was to use some lightweight nylon cord, braiding a short section that looped through the lug on the camera and then had the split ring on the other end. I made the braid length just long enough that the ring hung maybe 1/2" below the bottom of each camera body. I typically braided three lengths of cord so that one cord wearing/breaking would not jeopardize the camera's safety.

The neck strap then connected to the rings as normal. When I was shooting, only the braided section was between my right hand and the camera body -- completely unnoticed. (My left hand was under the body, supporting it, so not bothered by the strap, but I still made the little braided lanyards for both sides of the bodies.

I made similar lanyards for my current strap setup, though with just a single piece of 2mm red cord. Look at post 47 of this thread: The round black barrels also hang below the bottom of the body when the the cord is looped through the strap lug.
  14. Brewed4Thought

Brewed4Thought Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'm a fan of the rifle sling strap. I have yet to buy one for myself (the wife says I gotta wait and see what Santa brings), but I like what I've seen from Carry Speed. Black Rapid and Sun Sniper also make similar style straps which can stay out of the way of the traditional camera strap attachments.
  15. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    +1 for the A+A cloth strap, the most comfortable I've'll absolutely love it mate!

Only shame is mine doesn't fit the flat lugs on my 'new' GF1 :frown:
  16. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I love Artisan and Artist straps.
  17. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Bump for feedback and pictures on the cloth strap. I bid and lost on a a leather A&A strap over the weekend and suffer from withdrawal now.
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Make sure to get the version with the QR swivels. Then you can disconnect the large "gripper" portion of the strap and keep the shorter ends as a handstrap, the clasps hook together. Solid hardware, lasts forever.
  19. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just get one of these "biggrin:

<a href="" title="IMG_3361-PPR Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="426" alt="IMG_3361-PPR Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3" /></a>