1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Search for the most stupid photography quote

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by goldenlight, Jul 24, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    This one stood out for me whilst recently visiting Ken Rockwell's site:-

"With a digital camera with Image Stabilization or VR, there's no need for a tripod"

Mind you, this one came close:-

"please do not soil LEICA M lenses by wasting them on a half-frame camera. LEICA lenses deserve full-frame cameras only."

Can anyone top these? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    This one is posted today. Saw it at mirrorless rumors

The Canon EOS M is the world's first serious mirrorless camera.

• Like Like x 4
  3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I can't say the Leica glass quote is all that dumb. I think it's a huge waste for most small sensor-ed cameras in general.

I found the Canon EOS M coments from him quite interesting and contrdictory when I read them today. It forced me to read his X-Pro1 review to see if he was as full of **** as I thought he was.

"The Canon EOS M is the world's first serious mirrorless camera."

"By "serious," I mean professional grade. Sony, Samsung, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic and other third-tier brands offer lots of mirrorless cameras, but then aren't pro grade;"

However previously he reviewed the X-Pro1 and said,

"The X-Pro1 is probably the best camera ever introduced for actual photographers, as opposed to computer hobbyists or vidiots, in years"

"Yes, there are plenty of plastic consumer Micro 4/3 cameras with LCD finders, but they are not professional grade, as is the Fuji."

Interesting guy...

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I am sure we all say stupid things from time to time. I don't get much from what Mr. Rockwell writes, but it seems extreme to start a thread devoted to making him look stupid.

5. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    you just increased his ratings and web-hits... waaay beyond what he wanted ;)

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    :redface: Unfortunately it's more than time to time.

"The E-P1 is an overgrown pocket camera that has a much larger sensor"

7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Instead of singling out one person, how about just stupid photography quotes.

I had an assistant photo editor at a paper I once worked at tell me, in all seriousness:

"light does not make a photo"

Had his boss, the photo editor, tell me, when I asked to go to a documentary photography workshop:

"You're a newspaper photographer, why would you need to go to a workshop like that?"

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

There's only so much time in this life you know. :biggrin:

9. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Surely the opposite is true - small sensors benefit more from top quality glass, which is why Olympus SHG lenses for the original Four Thirds system are pretty much unequalled. It's also why (with a few exceptions) lenses for 35mm film cameras generally had better resolution than lenses for medium format cameras - they were better because they had to be!

The real point, however, is that some photographers enjoy using Leica lenses on :43: and who's to say they shouldn't?

10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I've looked at a number of examples of top tier M glass on various m4/3 cameras and by looking at those examples I came to the conclusion that the results are often underwhelming. So I guess if you can link me to examples of this really being the case, I'd be interested to see. All that being said, the best quality portraits I ever personally shot were with a 80mm f1.4 Summilux-R on an Xpro-1. I've yet to test out my brother in law's M glass on the GX1 or EM-5..

And by waste of money I simply meant spending money for M glass if you are not already a Leica user. People can do what they like with their money but it sure makes more sense to have a FF Leica sensor or film behind those lenses to take advantage of the true focal length and dof.

11. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Makes sense, I'm cool with that. :smile:

Great quotes in your original post btw. :biggrin:

12. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    From a newspaper editors perspective, that's not an unreasonable statement.

(Assuming that he really meant "good light", as opposed to any light at all. :smile:)

13. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I've discussed this with Nic by PM, apologized and ammended the thread title to something more general. By all means close or delete this thread if it continues to cause concern. Sorry.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The below is also from Ken Rockwell's site:

:wink::wink::wink:

15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Really? With nothing but the LCD to frame your picture?? Not in my book.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'm honestly more concerned about lenses being "soiled" with fingerprints and foreign matter that can be destructive to the coatings. Being a poor man, I have Leica screw mount lenses for an OLD Leica, but if I could afford an M and some lenses, I would not hesitate to use the M glass on the m4/3 camera, as I do the screw mount lenses now. I know using a $3000 dollar lens on a $900 body might cause some people sleepness nights , but if you have the body, have the lens, have the cheap adapter to use the latter on the former, why the hell not? Soiled is a pretty strong word to use for someone's use of a lens.

I should mention that I have gotten some very useful information about older lenses and cameras from Ken Rockwell's site.

17. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Lawrence you beat me!

NEW: Canon EOS M: The world's first serious mirrorless camera.:rofl:

I am not a Canon hater ( I have 2 Powershots currently) - but this has to be the stupidest, most misleading or most blatantly biased comment I have ever read on a camera that is ho-hum at best.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You should read the "About Me" from Ken Rockwell's website before you laugh too much :wink:

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    No worries...love the new name. Thanks.

20. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    OOOH- this is a *MUCH* better name. I'll have to pull from the dark bowels of the internet for this thread.