Sealife and Birds of Loreto, Mexico

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
The 1st week of September I took a week long trip to Loreto Mexico. For those that don’t know Loreto is a sleepy fishing village in Baja California Sur, about 2/3 of the way down the peninsula, the population is around 20,000. My lifelong friend invited me down to her beautiful condo, actually in Nopolo and on the golf course, but being early September, the place was pretty deserted as it was still hot, hitting the low 90’s F most days. Plus Baja Sur was under mandatory mask and no large groups or use of public beach restrictions, due to Covid 19.

Knowing that I never go anywhere without my camera she arranged for a local fishing boat to take just us out to Isla Coronado on a 3/4 day photo trip. There was a good amount of the standard birds and dolphins but I did not see any whales, as those are usually outside the islands around Loreto in the main channel of the gulf, and mostly here during the winter months. Was shooting with my EM1 MkIII and the 40-150 f2.8 Pro lens, my camera was set to AF-C at 4 FPS, no tracking.

First up, a 7 shot sequence of a leaping dolphin, in real time 1-3/4 of a second.

Dolphin1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Dolphin2.jpg

Dolphin3.jpg

Dolphin4.jpg

Dolphin5.jpg

Dolphin6.jpg

Dolphin7.jpg

Next, here is one bird I had never seen or photogrpgraphed before, the Blue Footed Booby. It is specific to the lower gulf of California, the Galapagos Islands and the western coast of Panama down to Peru. It is known for it turquoise blue feet and beaks.

Blue Boobies 1.jpg

Blue Boobies 2.jpg

Blue Boobies 3.jpg

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Next up a colony of Sea Lions. It was the middle of the afternoon and while a few barked at us, most only wanted to sleep

Sea Lion 1.jpg

Sea Lion 2.jpg

Sea Lion 3.jpg

Circling high above Isla Coronado was an large flock of Albatross. They just wanted to drift the thermals up above the highest mountain peak.

Albatoss over Isla Coronado.jpg

And of course this was the place that lots of pelicans hung out. Funny, the boat Capitan said that most were near town during the day and came back here at night.

Pelicans Isla Coronado.jpg

And as we were returning that evening to Loreto, after spending a couple of hours at a deserted white sand beach relaxing, the sunset was beautiful! And sure enough there were lots of Pelicans heading back to the island for the night.
Pelican Sunset.jpg

Last edited:

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Another day I got an early start and walked a couple hundred meters to a bay that had a large group of pelicans. It was beautiful but from a photographers perspective it was tough to shoot, as while the sun was shining on the distant subjects or a few feet above the water. But anything close to and in the water was in full shade due to a couple hundred foot tall rock outcropping right behind me.

Morning Pelican Feeding.jpg

Here is a pelican, in the full sun, starting his dive being followed by a dragon fly
P1-Diving Pelican with playmate.jpg

Almost at entry, it turned a bit away from me as his prey was moving away.
P2-Diving Pelican Preparing for Entry.jpg

Now in the shade, only the upper wing tip is lit by the sun.
P3-Hit or Miss?.jpg

Was it a Hit or a Miss?
P4-Turning this way.jpg

Wait, the Pelican did a 180 and is now swimming towards me with its head and beak under water
P5-Swimming after fish.jpg

One last stab at a fresh meal, but it only got a throat pouch full of seawater (shadows raised a bit more than normal so you could see this)
P6-Opps, beakful of water.jpg

Oh well... on to the next one!
P7-On to the next dive.jpg

Here is the view down the beach that even at 7:05AM is in full sun. Sad, but the beach was closed to use due to Covid 19 restrictions
Nopolo Beach.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom