Sea plane. Sea plane fly. Fly plane fly!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by squeegee, Jul 18, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I like sea planes, I dunno why, they're kinda cool. I went and took one picture of it... then I had the nagging urge to go back and take some more, so now I have a few.

I saw how little room they used to land, it's quite amazing. If you think about it, the landing strip never needs to be fixed or maintained in any manner. You can also pretty much make an airport anywhere.

I only have the 17mm lens so I had to make-do. I've been wishing I had something with a little more reach recently... but maybe later this year or next year.

Sea plane and a sea gas station. I wonder if they have pay at the pump?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

An interesting set with good colour. A quick and easy rotation tool is part of the free Faststone Image Viewer.

Handy for when you don't want to crank up your full editing app.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    thanks, I just use the gimp, it's pretty easy in that. The main problem is me knowing what is and isn't level... It took me a while to realise the gas station is NOT level... so trying to level against that won't work. The shore line is also in and out etc so that wasn't level either... in the end I just made a guess at what doesn't look too awkward.

4. tomservoca

tomservoca Mu-43 Regular

Jul 17, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Nice shots of Westcoast twotter. Wonderful aircraft. One of my drivers went to the Maldives to fly them.

Viking out of Victoria now hold the type certificate and are ramping up to build new ones. The one day I didn't have my camera with me, an early build had it's first flight and took off 25 at YYC, right past the North Cariboo hangar. No paint, just aluminum and zinc chromate primer.

5. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    I'm just so envious! The opportunity to sit watching and photographing floatplanes - I hope you know just how lucky you are.

I've had a couple of terrific holidays on Vancouver Island, and did a floatplane rating with a flying school in Sydney - did my 5 solo take-offs and landings on Lake Cowichan - the next year came back and flew a floatplane from Uclulet with Floatplane Tours Vancouver Island BC great guy called Loius Rouleaux - was the owner, let me fly the plane whilst he navigated & showed us the sights.

6. hikeabout

hikeabout New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2010
    Somerville, MA
    Not a sea plane, but on the subject of planes and making do with the 17mm, thought I'd share this glider being towed by a plane. Had the 17mm on my e-pl1 set to the diorama art filter when the plane flew over. If I'd had more time, I probably would have chosen a different setup, but I kind of like it nonetheless.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Squeegee, I saw these in your gallery and commented there, but I'm here now to say thank you for these! I've got a thing for these planes, too. Great color and your 17mm did just great in your hands. Wonderful scenes with that floating Chevron station!!:biggrin:

hikeabout - I really like this one of yours, too. As odd as that diorama filter might seem for a photo like this - it works and gives this one a kind of 1950s-60's film feel to it.:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2