1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SD Reader to Transfer EDITED JPEG Image Files to iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sailorlad, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    I today purchased an Apple SD card reader for the purpose of transferring EDITED jpeg image files onto my iPad. When connection is made the Import page appears on the iPad but no files are shown (two edited JPEG files are on the SD card).
    I have used ON1 Raw 2018 and Photoshop CC to edit the two original RAW files, and then exporting the two as jpegs onto the SD card.
    All functions perfectly when using an SD card loaded with ORIGINAL jpeg images taken directly from the camera?
    At this stage it is a puzzlement! I would appreciate some help in solving this problem. Thank you.

2. Phil.H

Phil.H Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Uk
    I cannot help you with your problem,but if I want to get files onto my iPad I upload them to Dropbox from my laptop then download them onto my iPad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    The IOS photo app does not do raw files, so won't import. JPG (jpeg) seems to be it.

4. I have had the same problem, I am unable to get my edited jpg’s onto my iPad Pro with an SD card. I have even tried to use the same file format as Olympus uses. If the card comes straight from the camera I can import both RAW and JPG. I finally just used iTunes to import them.

I am also not very happy with developing RAW on the iPad. Both Affinity and LR produce much smaller images than I get using my PC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Put all the photos you want to import into a folder named DCIM. The DCIM folder should be at the root level of your SD card. If Photos doesn’t automatically ask if you want to import, open Photos and tap Import.

Without third party apps iOS will only import photos and only to the Photos app. It looks for the DCIM folder that all cameras use.

Fred

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    When you export with Affinity Photo you can specify any size you want. I’ve had no problem exporting 16MB images as jpeg, tiff, psd and png files.

Fred

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also, file names need to be as original, without added details (in brackets etc) & why it needs to be in its own DCIM folder so it isn't confused with an original unedited JPEG.

8. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Thank you all for your replies, info and suggestions. Much time spent today following up from your input but, sadly, no success to report.
    I first tried your DCIM folder suggestion, Fred, but this did not succeed. I then tried a variation of this method after looking at the names of the folders on the SD card carrying original JPEG files from the camera (the card/files that works in the SD card reader).
    The first folder was 100OLYMP and the second DCIM. I put these nested folders on a new SD card and put two jpeg images in the DCIM folder. Sorry to say the card reader did not give any output!
    Taking up your suggestion, Ross, and in view of the first folder name (100OLYMP), I might try this method again but change the two jpeg names to something closer to their original Olympus form.
    It all seems a lot of bother! Your method, Phil, using Dropbox certainly appears attractive. I might have to use that or iCloud.

9. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Interesting I give my SD card straight from my G85 to my wife who uses a connector from apple and imports the jpeg's with no problem. She has no third party apps installed either. She does not know how it happens, it just seems to work.

So it is possible.

10. Ross the fiddler

I've mostly given up on transferring images to my ipad now, but when it is something like this "K6053790[CaOne]adj.jpg" then I change it to this "K6053790.jpg" (I change the first character within each camera I have so there isn't conflict between photos from different cameras).
    BTW, the SD card needs the DCIM folder first & the 100OLYMP folder within it which can hold the file. Also, I have not upgraded the OS in my ipad to OS 11 which is now not using JPEGs but an updated photo file (more efficient), so I don't know if that is the issue or not.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  11. Ross the fiddler

That's not the issue here (as far as I know), but with the edited images & why we are suggesting renaming that edited file back to the original file name so the apple screwed up system will accept them as if they come directly from a camera (SD card). My ipad was a birthday gift but I deliberately bought an Android phone so I didn't have that issue with it. My PC just sees it as a flash drive etc.

12. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Thank you "Retired from Life"! Like you I have no problems at all using the card reader to upload my original jpeg files taken straight from the card in the camera to the iPad.
    The problem occurs when trying to upload an EDITED file (jpeg) to the iPad. See my first post.

13. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Thanks again, Ross, for your reply and interest. I will certainly try nesting the folders the other way round. If that doesn't work I will definitely alter the jpeg file names to something more appropriate.
    Will come back with a report later.
    Thanks.

14. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Further to the above, gentlemen, and more time spent on the problem, I have given up (despite the Winston Churchill statement!) and succumbed to the use of OneDrive for the transfer of the two images.
    I have tried all sorts of combinations of the DCIM and 100OLYMP folders with different file numbers for the two images.
    My final attempt was to first make a full copy of an SD card carrying jpeg images straight from the camera. Then delete these image files only and substitute with my two edited jpeg files. The SD card reader still gave no output. Even tried using two file numbers as used by those deleted (above).
    Thank you all for your responses above. If I ever find a solution I will make a posting.
    Regards, Robert.

15. Ross the fiddler

What level of OS is on the iPad? Also, are the files still containing the EXIF data? I can transfer images edited in Capture One (10), but then I usually reduce the size in Olympus Viewer 3, plus I also keep the EXIF, so maybe that could be the issue.
    BTW, also make sure the file name has the extension ".jpg" (I forgot to show that above).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  16. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    Hello Ross,
    My iPad has OIS 10.3.3 (up to date)
    The two files I have now transferred using OneDrive do contain the EXIF data and certainly are both jpeg. They are each of average size.
    I really can't think of anything else to try.
    Regards.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ross the fiddler

I asked about the OS (operating system) because mine keeps wanting to update to iOS11. (11.2 now I think)

18. Sailorlad

Sailorlad Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Robert
    When I check the status of the OS on my iPad it informs me it is up to date (10.3.3).
    Thanks, Ross.

19. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

I would continue to use the OneDrive method, as that is quite easy. However, your difference in experience vs the above suggestions may be due to the version you are running. The latest iOS version is 11.3. If your iPad is fully up to date at 10.3.3., then you may have a bit of an older iPad (4th gen?) that cannot accept the latest operating systems.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.