SD Cards USH II vs USH I on Lumix G9 For Burst Shooting

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Just got a upgrade on the SD cards from UHS I to UHS II. Tested 3 types of SD cards, for burst mode and write speed. To see what the actual difference is with exposure settings I often burst with. Thus, tested these 3 cards for photo only.

1) Lexar 1000x 64GB, UHS II, U3, v60
2) PNY Elite 64GB, UHS I, U3
3) and for chits and giggles PNY High Performance class (10),U1 32GB SD card

Pics of the cards below.

G9 SD Cards.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was no scientific test but more a general performance test with the Lumix G9 and 2 camera burst modes. Also, to see if the UHS II cards are worth the extra cash, and how much of a difference is it really.

Procedure: hand held burst at various shutter speed and ISO for 2 tests. RW2 files were used. Clearing the buffer was the main focus of these two burst mode. H burst mode on the G9 was tested first. It was shot 3 times to see if there are variations. Same for the HS1 burst mode on the G9.

1st test H burst mode on G9, shutter 1/200 ISO 400 indoor lighting.
Lexar 1000x UHS II card: 7 seconds to fill buffer with 72 pics on avg +/- 1 pic. It took 26 to 28 seconds to clear the buffer.

PNY Elite USH I card:
7 seconds to fill buffer with 66 pics on avg, +/-1 pic. It took 48 to 50 seconds to clear the buffer

PNY High Performance UHS card: 5 seconds to fill buffer with 61 pics on avg, +/- 2 pics. It took 58 to 60 seconds to clear the buffer.

2nd test HS1 burst mode on G9, shutter 1/640, ISO 1600 same indoor light.
Lexar 1000x UHS II card: It took about 2 to 2.5 seconds to reach 50 pics. It took 18 to 22 seconds to clear the buffer.

PNY Elite USH I card:
It took about 3 to 3.5 seconds to reach 50 pics. It took 38 to 42 seconds to clear the buffer.

PNY High Performance UHS card: It took about 5 seconds to reach 50 pics. It took 58 to 60 seconds to clear the buffer.

Results and Conclusion: The Lexar UHS II cards did have a noticeable improvement over the PNY UHS I SD cards in write speed in the H and HS1 burst mode. And both were much improved over the PNY class (10) U1 card. The cost of the PNY UHS I was about the same as the Lexar UHS II 9 months ago about 30 bucks each. I suspect shutter speeds will change the results, as will the lighting. Darker scenes will have more data to write, and faster shutters could give faster or slower write speeds. The variation of repetition of test resulted in small differences in write speeds of each card. But overall, the gist is a noticeable difference in performance. And the Lexar 1000x although not the best UHS II card did outperform a similar 30MB/s write speed card.

Keep in mind that there are faster cards in USH I and USH II. These are considered the mid level performance of their class, i.e., the 30MB/s minimum sustained write speed for UHS I. And Lexar being a v60 rated for 60MB/s minimum sustained write speed for UHS II. It's unknown to me the max write speed of the Lumix G9. I can only speculate it will write faster with 75MB/s UHS II cards or even faster with v90 UHS II cards. At any rate, these cards tested are not showing the full potential of the G9. Also, there are many ways to test SD cards, this is just easy way to do it. But from what I see online, software tests show speeds vary with different software on the same cards, that makes me question the accuracy of the software or card reader.

I do simple tests like this with all my new gear, just to get a general scope of what it can do and if they are functioning properly. The real test for me will be out in real world shooting conditions with wildlife and action photo, and 4K 60P video.

Anyway, I hope you find this helpful if you seek to use a UHS II card.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
FOLLOW UP ON THE ABOVE TEST. The above tests were for slower panning shutter bursts like vehicle action movement. It did not cover the higher shutter speeds to freeze action for wildlife and birds in flight. And it did not cover shooting with AFC. Which may have a difference in performance of the write speed and buffer. Thus, I conducted another set of tests with faster shutter and Manual foucs with BBF (like the above tests), and with AFC focus to get an idea of what the limitations are.

Settings for each test: manual exposure mode, RW2 files, shutter 1/2000 sec, ISO 200, f/2.8, 35mm. Composed at a large diffused indoor LED light from 3 feet.

1st test H Burst. With Manual Focus using Back Button or AF/AE Lock.
Lexar 1000x UHS II: 6 seconds to fill buffer with 76 pics. 19 seconds to clear buffer.
PNY Elite UHS I: 5 seconds to fill buffer with 68 pics. 52 seconds to clear buffer.

2nd Test H Burst. With AFC using medium size diamond group (37 AF points).
Lexar 1000x UHS II: 17 seconds to fill the buffer with 116 pics. And 23 seconds to clear buffer.
PNY Elite UHS I: 10 seconds to fill the buffer with 74 pics. 52 sec to clear buffer.

3rd Test HS2 Burst. With AFC using medium size diamond group (37 AF points).
Lexar 1000x UHS II: 4 seconds to fill buffer with 50 pics. 18 seconds to clear buffer.
PNY Elite UHS I: 4 seconds to fill buffer with 50 pics. 42 seconds to clear buffer.

Extra test with JPG files and H burst mode: With AFC using medium size.
Lexar 1000x UHS II: 45 seconds for 281 shots. Did not affect the buffer.

Results and conclusion of this test show that there is a difference in performance with Manual focus using Back button AF vs AFC when shutter speeds are high.

In H burst mode the difference between shutter speed of 1/200 (1st test above), were similar to using shutter at 1/2000 with Manual/AF mode. However, there is a big difference using H burst mode with AFC focus.

In H Burst mode with the Lexar UHS II, the difference between using AFC and Manual/AF (BBF) shows that using Manual/AF the buffer filled up in 6 seconds vs AFC where buffer filled in 17 seconds. Thus, a much shorter sustained burst in Manual/AF vs the AFC where burst sustained for longer and took more pics in that time, and took about the time to clear. That's about 12 pics per second with Manual/AF vs 6.8 pics per sec with AFC.

The PNY UHS I card did similar burst rates in pics per second in H burst. However, sustained burst was shorter than the UHS II card in manual/AF and AFC with less pics. And, clearing the buffer took 2x longer than the Lexar USH II at 52 seconds regardless of focus mode.

With HSI and HS2 burst mode the G9 uses Electronic Shutter, and burst performance is similar to slower shutter speed of 1/200. Buffer is also maxed out at 50 shots for both HS1 and HS2. And burst rate is similar with both UHS II cards and UHS I cards that were tested. The noticeable difference is clearing the buffer. With Lexar UHS II the buffer cleared in 18 seconds where the PNY UHS I card took 42 seconds to clear. With AFC focus it shoots about 12 pics per second. With Manual/AF its about 25 pics per second in HS1 mode with the Lexar UHS II card as the burst is about 2 seconds for 50 pics.

Shooting in JPG, for H burst on the Lexar UHS II card. While bursting at no time did the red write indicator on the live view show it was writing to the buffer. Thus I stopped bursting after 45 seconds. The burst speed is over 6 shots per second. Thus, it's likely you can burst JPG unlimited without using the buffer with the only limitation being the card size and battery life.

At any rate, this test helps me know the limitations of what to expect in the field. It's not a scientific test, and it's full of variables and human variation. But, it does show that the Lexar 1000x v60 USH II card does outperform the mid level PNY UHS I card. For 4K video 60p at 150mbps these cards are sufficient. But for bursting and clearing buffer, that's where the higher speed write cards will make a difference. And the Lumix G9's write speed is unknown to me. Thus, I suspect faster cards will give better performance.

Anyway, I hope this will be helpful to others considering using a Lexar 1000x v60 UHS II card. IMO it's worth the cost for the added performance over the PNY Elite UHS I card, and other mid speed UHS I cards. Keep in mind that some UHS I cards have fast write speed, and some UHS II cards like v30 have lower write speeds. These anecdotal tests are to see how they perform when bursting, under specific settings for focus and shutter speed. And, will be useful in the field for their application.

Last edited:

yslee

Mu-43 Rookie
G9's top speed is about 100MB/s with the right UHS-II cards. The G9, like the GH5, does not have SDR104 bus speed implemented so UHS-I will always max out at 50MB/s, which in practice is 40MB/s from the various tests I've seen and personally done.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
G9's top speed is about 100MB/s with the right UHS-II cards. The G9, like the GH5, does not have SDR104 bus speed implemented so UHS-I will always max out at 50MB/s, which in practice is 40MB/s from the various tests I've seen and personally done.

Thanks for that info. The USH-II cards did make a difference in burst shots and clearing buffer.

Last edited:

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the info, I just purchased a g9 and plan to pick up a pair of 32gb Sony M cards for it.
With the G9, get the Sony G cards if you can swing it. The extra speed over the M cards is great.

BB70Chevelle

Mu-43 Veteran
With the G9, get the Sony G cards if you can swing it. The extra speed over the M cards is great.

If I go with something faster I'll probably go with the transcend I dont know if I want to spend the money on the G series cards and these are a good middle ground from the m to the g in both speed and price.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
UPDATE to more testing. Some online resources claim the Lumix G9's buffer size is 1.6 GB.

Regarding the M mode or medium burst
With G9 and the Lexar 1000x USH-II v60 SD card. In M burst mode in RW2.

95 shots to fill the buffer in 15 seconds with manual focus. 20 sec to clear the 1.6 GB buffer. That's about 6.3 shots per second. Once the buffer is full, the burst rate slows down to about 2.8 shots per second.

That pretty much wraps up my initial test with the Lexar 1000x UHS-II v60 SD cards.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Feel free to post your test results with your SD cards. Thanks.

Umm, I doubt it can be added in a firmware update, since UHS-II has extra contact points to speed up the data transfer.

Yes of course I realize that it has to have the contacts. However, companies often use the same circuit in multiple products and then deliberately "cripple" the cheaper products to restrict them so it is not outside the realm of possibility that Panasonic re-used part of the circuit and then just shut down the UHS-II in firmware.

In any case, I just ordered a G9 so going to pop both Sony cards in.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom