1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SD card - which one for GH2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mgrmgr, May 15, 2011.

1. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Which SD card is the fastest for the GH2?

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The GH2 manual indicates that the camera's minimum required specification for an SD card is Class 6. I don't know if you're wondering this, but the manual also states that the burst rate of the camera is not affected by the write speed of the card as long as the card meets the minimum requirements. This is because the camera writes to internal memory first. Then it writes to the card. Having said all that... I personally use SanDisk 30mb/sec Class 10 cards in all of my cameras. I'm sure some of those cameras don't have write speeds anywhere close to 30 mb/sec. But I have never had any problems with my camera or card performance when using these SanDisks.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I doubt that anyone has such an extensive collection of differently-branded cards to be able to tell you that!

I have two different Class 10 16GB SDHC cards: one from Transcend and the other from Wintek. Both are fairly cheap cards that I got from Newegg. Both of them have been able to handle everything I've thrown at them, including filling the entire card with 1080p/24fps video (as a test), and burst shooting at the highest speeds possible.

4. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Canada
    The class 6 will be more for the video than photos. That said transend cards are pretty inexpensive and I've heard good things from people who use them (and they are class 10)

5. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Okay...with those two answers and a bit of other reading, I'm deciding on the SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB Class 6 card. I don't understand enough to figure out the difference between their "Video" card and the seemingly identical regular Extreme card...write speeds claim 30MB/s on both...but I assume the greatest speed is necessary for HD video so I'm scratching my head and picking the one claiming it's for that. I keep hearing slightly better things about SanDisk than Transcend from most review sites and that clinched it.

Hoping "a little knowledge can be dangerous" doesn't apply here. :wink:

6. kcphotos

kcphotos Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Can the GH2 take advantage of the new UHS Sandisk cards that write 45mbs or is better just to go with a class 10 card?

7. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011