1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SD card stuck in camera (GF1)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sinophilia, Sep 24, 2010.

1. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    So... I had the bad idea to put an unreadable SD card with a broken plastic corner in my GF1 to see if I could format it in the camera... and then it wouldn't pop out anymore. I had to pull to take it out. After that I inserted another SD card, a working one, and now there's no way to take it out either. It looks like the eject mechanism/spring is bent or broken or whatever.

Anyone knows how the card eject mechanism works? I guess I'll have to take the camera to some repair shop. :blush:

2. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    Judging from the number of replies, it looks like nobody had the same misadventure :redface:

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that Panasonic repaired my camera under warranty, I had a local reseller send it away and got it back in 10 days. Brilliant! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    This thankfully is not a common issue.
    We all here on the forum appreciate you doing this experiment and posting the results.
    Thanks for your update on the solution.
    Shooter

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

What a relief sinophilia! Gosh, I could almost feel the sweat breaking out when I read your first post. I'm so glad your GF1 is all well again and back in your hands.

You've been missed here!

P.S. I now see what you've been up to via blipphoto! That explains why I haven't seen you on Flickr. Naughty. I hate it when people do that and then I don't know where I can see their photos.:wink: Glad to know you've been busy!

5. A.Tan

A.Tan New to Mu-43

Oct 29, 2010
    SoCal
    how did you break the corner of your SD card? Glad your camera is fixed now.

6. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I think my cheap SD card reader did something to the card...

@BBW
    Thank you, I definitely neglected my GF1 lately but I intend to pick it up more often now! I kept lurking the forum though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Had this happen to me.

I had the same problem on my GH1, caused by a cheap card I bought on EBAY. If you force it out you can easily damage the SD card mechanism. Replacing it is not easy as he connections are soldered to the main PCB.

If the camera is in warranty just get it to Panasonic and tell them the card won't come out. They fixed mine at no charge.

8. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    Yep in the end that's what I did Bob, the dealer was very helpful and said the best thing to do was exactly that, even if it was a silly problem there was no way I could have opened the camera myself to fix it.

My card was a standard Sandisk one, but I think it got broken by the card reader. Something to be careful about.