1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SD Card Speed

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sprinke, Apr 6, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I've always purchased Class 10 SD cards, because I like to do video with my GH2.

But lately I've been doing some burst shooting (like exposure bracketing for HDR) and I've noticed some lag writing to the card, that prevents me from taking additional shots.

Does anyone reading this care about that kind of thing, and has cards to suggest? Have you done any testing of cards? I don't think I'd want to pay the premium for those Sandisk Extreme or whatever they're called, but it would be nice to find a card that is slightly faster.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's not about the card. The problem is your camera's buffer. With my G2, I've run against the buffer many times, it's probably my biggest letdown with the camera. Look at this example that some guy did:
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: GH2: Buffer flush speed
    Even with a great card, it still took 25 seconds to finish the write and allow image review. 25 seconds is significantly faster than 35 seconds, but 25 seconds is still a long-ass time. Here's another test:
    The best memory card for Panasonic GH2 | Daisuki Photo
    He shows that the GH2 is the weak link in the equation, not the card. If your problem is the buffer, your best bet is to wait and see how the E-M5 performs. Or, wait and hope that the GH3 comes out this year and is readily available.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Ah! Very interesting and good information. Thanks!

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Class 10 is only 10MB/s, and given the size of RAW files - my GH2 writes 19meg files, and can only buffer about 5. So that gives you an idea that you won't get more than 0.5 fps after about 5 shots in a row.

OTOH, my 7D has a 20 shot buffer, and 45MB/s or 60MB/s cards are quite plentiful. I can shot in bursts of 3 or 4 shots for several minutes easily.

As you've also probably figured out, the GH2 is not UHS compliant, so it doesn't use the extra speed of UHS cards.

5. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA