SD Card Selection Advice; EM-5 & EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thenextpage, Nov 10, 2014.

1. thenextpage

thenextpage Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2014
    Hello Friends,

I'm using two separate Olympus bodies, EM-5 and EM-1. I'm currently using in both a SanDisk Extreme Pro card (95mb/s). The cards were quite expensive compared to others, but I bought them because I had the impression that these high transfer speeds would enable faster photo processing within the camera - and that this would enable me to take photos faster, with less lag in between frames. I'm now at a point where I need to pick up a few more cards, but I'm not convinced that I need this level of card transfer speed.

Does anyone have insight as to the maximum level of transfer speed that these Olympus bodies can utilize? Would I be just as well off with a slower and less costly card?

Thank you for taking the time to share

tnp

2. Lionroar

Lionroar Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2014
    I use Transcend Class 10 SDHC because they have a low price at Amazon.com. I have no idea if they are comprised compared to more expensive cards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Cards with faster write times do make a difference when shooting fast sequences. Not only can you shoot more images before the buffer slows the camera down, but the buffer clears faster. If you seldom or never shoot continuously, you don't need a fast card. With my E-M5 set to shoot medium-speed sequences, around 4fps, I find the Extreme Pro can achieve around 23 shots before hitting the bugger, compared with 18 for the Extreme (45MB/sec).

Recently I decided to buy a couple of high-capacity cards as I've had enough of swapping memory in the field, so price became more of an issue. I've discovered that Sandisk has launched a new variant, Extreme Plus, that writes at 60MB/sec and reads faster (I think 80MB/sec). They are almost as cheap as the standard Extreme cards but much cheaper than Extreme Pro ones. This may be a good compromise,

• Like Like x 3
  4. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    This is exactly the info I was looking for! Thank you for your response mistermark. I'll look into the Extreme Plus; sounds like it may be a good performer for what I'll be doing. There are time when I shoot burst frames, so the speed will help.

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have been happy with the SanDisk Extreme. I have two 32GB cards, and to make sure I don't run out of space I also have a 128GB card. I take JPG+RAW so the space gets used up quite quickly.

Be careful about rated speeds - some quote a good speed but it is the read speed they quote, not the write speed. Sandisk have good write speeds, only slightly less than the read speed.

Transcend is a cheaper but inferior make - I've seen corrupted photos more often with them.

Buy from a reputable supplier and not eBay or Amazon Marketplace. Amazon itself is OK. You don't want to send your valuable photos into the black hole of a fake card.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like the PNY Elite cards a lot. They're not nearly as fast as the Extreme Pros, but they're respectable and a lot cheaper. Been meaning to try the Extreme Plus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you for the info Growltiger, very helpful. If you wouldn't mind taking the time to share, I'd like to know why you shoot JPG+RAW.

8. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you Promit.

9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I take JPG because most photos are already excellent as they come from the camera. The file is immediately ready for use.

I take RAW because a small proportion of photos have a problem that can best be fixed by using a raw converter - such as Olympus's own program, (or Photoshop or Lightroom). The problem can be the colour balance, or perhaps there are underexposed or overexposed areas in the photo, which can be rescued because the dynamic range captured in the raw image is greater than can be stored in JPG files. This is a big subject, you would need to read up on raw processing. You have the Olympus Viewer 3 program already, so you can use that, it works well.

10. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    That's good Growltiger, I was just curious to know from your experience. I shoot all photos in RAW, and have never considered JPEG. But I understand your point that not all photos need processing. If my memory permits, I may consider doing the same.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards are the gold standard, or at least one of the gold standards. I don't know exactly what the effective read/write limits of the OM-D bodies are, but in my own informal testing I can tell you that going down to the 45mb/s cards will very noticeably slow down clearing the buffer. I would stick with what you're using.

• Like Like x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Samsung has some nice Pro cards too, sometimes Adorama has a very good deal on them.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I really like Samsung's UHS-I pro cards. Very good performance, excellent price/quality ratio compared to SanDisk's that are similarly specced and perform similarly.

• Like Like x 1