SD card lost its write protect nub - What would you do?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Cut a small piece of plastic (e.g. from an old credit card) the size of the notch and then glue it in.
Unlike floppies disks of old, the notch is no longer a pass thru for an optical sensor but is instead a tiny little switch (likes nothing more than a piece of metal connecting or not connecting two signal points).

I hear if you put another notch opposite to the original you can make it double-sided.
You just need the world's smallest hole punch.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And so to your suggestion of cutting a piece of plastic to cover the notch won't fix his issue of the missing piece if the card is stuck in read only mode. Unless you were talking about something else, but you didn't bother to quote anything so I can only assume the response is to the original problem.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
And so to your suggestion of cutting a piece of plastic to cover the notch won't fix his issue of the missing piece if the card is stuck in read only mode. Unless you were talking about something else, but you didn't bother to quote anything so I can only assume the response is to the original problem.
It will fix the problem - I know because I’ve done exactly that with a card that failed.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can confirm this with personal experience of fixing at least 2 SD cards.

Same here, although my preferred method was to fill the gap with some plastic epoxy putty, trim it while curing, and carefully sand it smooth once cured. Like other posters have suggested, I started just buying the Sony Tough cards now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom