SD card for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MacBook, May 24, 2012.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I understood film speeds but have never quite grasped the various permutations of SD cards. I have a variety of cards, the most recent being a couple of Lexar Professional SDHC Class 10 16GB 133x speed cards.

What are optimal cards for the OM-D that will not slow it down at all when shooting still photos?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Faster the better, really - haven't seen any reliable tests of speed, but look not only at class but also sustained write speeds. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 16gb card right now, I may well get a couple of transcends as backups - their compact flash cards have served me well in my 5D, no complaints on speed, reliability or price.

The only place this really matters (difference between fast and CRAZY FAST) cards is if you're thinking of shooting full speed, superfine JPG AND Raw, for several seconds.
  3. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
  4. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I saw this review:

Nikon D7000 RAW Burst Test

and since I was able to get the 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 for $76 at B&H went with that.
  5. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    I use a Sandisk Extreme pro 16gb and it's realy fast, i like it.

MENINBLK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Westchester County, New York, USA
    Peter Romano
    I have a Centon 64GB Class 10 133X SDXC card ready for my E-M5 when it arrives...
  7. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Sandisk makes its own memory. Means a lot IMHO.
  8. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I have an Eye-Fi Pro X-2, wich is a class 6. Switching to a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb would make a big difference in the OM-D performance?
  9. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Almost certainly for clearing the cache after burst shooting.
  10. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I have the 16GB (95MB/s) one as well in my GX1 (supports UHS-1) and it is significantly faster than the Transcend Class 10 8GB I was using before.

With the old card I had to wait a while for the buffer to clear after a longer JPEG+RAW burst, now it's less than half the time. Since it's a Panasonic and the JPEG is worthless (to me) I also cut the time by only saving RAW.

I ordered another 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (95) to use with the E-M5.
  11. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Here are some related posts on memory card speed & test:

Since both Class 10 and UHS-1 only guarantee up to a 10MB/s minimum write speed and neither the Lexar 600x or Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 specifies the maximum write speed, I guess the only way to tell which writes faster in E-M5 is to get both and test them.

I just got a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95, now just waiting for E-M5... :frown:

MENINBLK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Westchester County, New York, USA
    Peter Romano
    Okay. Got to finally test out a few features.
    The card I am using is the 64GB Centon SDXC Class 10.
    Centon 64GB SDXC Memory Card

I purchased from back in February.
    It was priced at $59.60.

I have been able to shoot 19 continuous photos with this card
    before the E-M5 calls it quits !!!