SD Card Errors and Format Issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by roguetash, Sep 30, 2013.

1. roguetash

roguetash New to Mu-43

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi All!

I have a new E-PL5 camera that I've been using for about 3 months and while the camera has not given me any issues, the SD card is. I just recently bought a SD card reader from my friendly neighborhood Fred Meyer and since using it, I cannot take new pictures or re-format the card. My camera keeps giving me the "Card Error" message and my system will not re-format the card for me, nor will my camera allow it. I have attached screenshots of what the weird file types look like--anyone have a similar experience? It is a SD HC "ProMaster" Card.

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

• sd1.jpg
      File size:
      36.1 KB
    • sd2.jpg
      File size:
      110.1 KB
  2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Looks like the card is corrupted. You can try another one to make sure your new reader didn't do it.

And maybe you can run chkdsk on it. A Google search on "chkdsk SD card" brings up a youtube video, but I couldn't figure out how to show the URL w/o embedding the video.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Did you delete images off the card with the reader? I have heard of problems caused by this, although the cards usually reformat in the camera. If you simply plugged the card into the reader and then had issues I would bet the reader is malfunctioning. Do you have any old cards to test with?

I just noticed the dates on those files! 1981! 2082!