Screen Variances

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Plumballs, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Hi All,

Whilst preparing a picture for the monthly competition I noticed a massive difference between my laptop at home and the screen at work when viewing the same picture. My laptop has a bright dynamic screen and the picture really popped, but when viewed at work it was dull and dark. I also noticed this on the spooky post I did where it looks 10 times better on my laptop.

Is there some standard I should be adjusting to so we are all looking at the pictures at the same level?

If someone could post a picture that is good to adjust to I would find it very helpful. I appreciate colour variation cannot be helped as different manufacturers would render in different ways, but brightness and contrast should be something we can standardize.

Sorry if I am being naïve as different environments would also make a lot of difference, but just looking for a bit of guidance really.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    The only way to get it right is to calibrate the screen you use for editing. Google calibration and Spider and ColorMunki for examples. After calibration your screen will have exactly standard colours, brightness and contrast.

It sounds as if your laptop is adjusted by the manufacturer to make it sell well, by having a very bright high contrast screen. It probably needs to be made darker with lower contrast. That way when you edit your photos you can make them correct, so that anyone with a good calibrated monitor will see exactly what you mean them to see.

Even if someone showed you a good picture you couldn't tell on your laptop how it is supposed to look.

With a screen like yours, if you made a print you would probably be disappointed by how dark it came out.
  3. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Using a laptop for editing,even when calibrated, probably isn't a great solution since most laptop display hardware have limited gamuts and only support sRGB.

As an example the Acer I'm writing this post on is only capable of display less than half the sRGB color space.

For my editing station I have an NEC Spectraview wide gamut display with a high end display card and I use a NEC Spectraviw colorimeter to calibrate with. The colorimeter has the ability to measure wide gamut NEC displays when used with the Spectraview calibration software.

So as they say you get what you pay for.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Calibrating all of the monitors involved, as others have mentioned, if very important, but ...

... it is critical that when you save the file you tag it for a CMS profile (for wide distribution, like the web, sRGB is generally the best) and embed that profile in the image. You then need to be certain that the app used to display the image respects and applies the embedded profile.
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Most laptop monitors (Except higher end ones) and almost all desktop monitors used in office environments are not very good at displaying accurate color gamuts (=range of colors). Cambridge in Color has a good step by step explanation of color spaces, calibration, and what not. Excellent resource for photographers who want to make sure the prints they make look like they thing they should. Great site anyway:
  6. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Thanks guys I think I have sorted it, maybe anyway???

I seems it was the Gamma adjustment that needed sorting. The screen looks lackluster/flat now but I am sure I will get used to it.

I think I have adjusted this laptop as much as I can anyway.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Even if you calibrate, display is troublesome. The problem is that a monitor is backlit while a photo is not. They also likely get differing amounts of ambient light, and surface finish (e.g. matte, gloss, lustre/pearl, canvas, glass/no glass/low reflection glass, etc...). Different LCDs, cellphones, and TVs for viewing are just other examples of the same thing.

No matter what you calibrate to, you can't force other people to calibrate their monitors AND have the same display surface characteristics/lighting conditions as you. The same print at my house (where it's dimmer lit due to eaves) looks different compared to at my parent's where sun shines right in. Most of the people who see my photos other than the ones on this forum will not have calibrated monitors. All I can suggest is to calibrate nominally for print (or close to) but be prepared to adjust for intended display as necessary.
  8. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Totally get and agree with what you are saying. I can calibrate to some recent prints I had done at Photobox.