screen protector residue!?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jcm5, Apr 3, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I recently removed my LCD protector because it was getting somewhat beat up and wanted to replace it. I am now seeing a darker residue (rectangular shape) in the middle of the screen though there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference when I move my finger from the outside part of the screen that's normal to the darkened part (i.e., the film is not like glue I've seen before that you can rub off, it's basically as flat as the screen).
    Has anyone run into this problem with LCD protectors and what's the fix? Thanks.

2. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Anyone? By way of reference, this is what it looks like, smeared a little bit probably from finger oil:

3. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    It functions perfectly fine and impossible to tell when the LCD screen is on, but it is a bit annoying to see that huge area in the middle when it's off...

4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

What kind of protector were you using? Until I fully read your post I thought the picture was taken WITH the protector on, as it looks like a protector that's lost contact with the screen around the edges. Whatever it is, looks like the screen is permanently altered - did you try using some alcohol solution to try and wipe this off? What camera is this - has it got a touch screen?

5. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    It is not a touch screen, and I did try to use some rubbing alcohol to no effect. I'm not that concerned because functionally it's perfect (and when the LCD is on, you cannot tell the difference). I bought a used Sony RX1 knowing about this screen defect but was hoping to wipe it off somehow. Was just curious if there was anyone out there who dealt with similar issues...

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I wonder whether the adhesive has reacted with an anti-reflective coating?

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Looks like previous owner has rubbed off the antireflective coating on perimeter. Residue is actually what has left, so the only thing you can is to rub it off completely with some soft abrasive - e.g. old-fashioned toothpaste.

8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Not very protective was it?

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    The only screen protector that may cause indirectly(!) to such thing would be GGS glass protectors - they have real adhesive on perimeter and previous owner may have damaged anti-reflective coating when he tried to clean it up.
    Modern plastic film protectors attach without any adhesives and cannot cause anything like that.
    If you want my reference: Micro Solution branded ones never failed on me in last 3 years and you never notice they are there.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  10. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    It's something I knew of before purchasing so I can't be too upset I suppose and thankfully, it's basically a cosmetic rather than a functional defect. I usually don't use any protectors on any of my gear but thanks for the tip about the Micro Solutions brand.

11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I've always used 3M Vikuiti series foils (ADQC27 for capacitive touch screens) on my mu43 kit - you can buy them on Amazon and eBay pre-cut to various cameras. Never failed and no residue or other ill effects.