1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Screen protector for GX1/GF5/GF3/GF2 - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Borsch, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello,

I am awaiting delivery for a GF5 and one of its shortcomings that is VERY seldomly mentioned is the screen that is flush with the back of the camera and not slightly recessed. What that means is that when (not if) it tips over on its back or someone just puts the camera into its most stable position (flat on its back), the screen will get scratched by the table surface or whatever the camera is placed on...

To add this to the usual wear and tear, begs a question: do people with Panny m43 touch screens (not foldable ones like G3) bother with screen protectors? If so, which ones are to buy? A film application will likely peel off at corners when inserted into a bag etc -the screen is flush remember...

I also imagine a possible mod where I'd glue a silicon frame onto the screen, so that the frame would take all the rubs/scratches and the screen surface...

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this issue?:smile:

2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Couldn't care less about a scratched screen. This is a camera, a tool, not jewellery.
    That said, I never had a single scratch on any LCD screen, and I don't caress my gear at all. My bodies always look very bruised after some time but the screens interestingly enough never showed a scratch. Guess they are quite robust.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I do. A GF2 was my first quality camera, and the LCD took a real beating just being carried around and used (the first scratch happened just from putting it down in a car, in fact). Since then I always use a screen protector. I agree about using a camera as a tool, but a scratch on an LCD is the fastest way to de-valuing a camera I know of. Not too fun for resale later when you upgrade or move on.

I just use one of the hard plastic protectors that sticks on with a self-adhesive back (not a film per se, more like a plastic sheet). However, I am not one to use the touch screen so I wasn't worried about it affecting the touch sensitivity. I know the touch screen still works because I did use it a few times on the GX1 with a screen protector on, but I can't vouch for whether performance was any better/worse for it.

4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I've got one on my GF5, and glad I do. I got the camera late Jan, early Feb (Don't remember when it actually got to me) and had a protector on in a couple days, and now it's all scratched up, which means the screen isn't. Even before putting the protector on, the screen didn't seem very responsive (I am comparing it to my iPhone 4S), and it doesn't seem any worse from the protector. But then I use the buttons most of the time. As for what I used, I had several different brands of generic smart phone/Palm screen protectors, so I picked one that was close to the right size and trimmed it. It still ended up a tad big, but that hasn't been an issue, it's staying in place and not pealing off or catching as I pull it in and out of my pocket, or as it rubs against my shirt.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes, if only to maintain resale value. These screens definitely will scratch even with ordinary, careful use.

6. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    I fitted one on my GX1 - I found that the screen got really messy with fingerprints and the protector (ATFolix) does a good job of reducing that without impacting the touch screen responsiveness.

7. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    OK, you've convinced me! :) Must get a screen protector...

Are there any big differences between £1.50 and >£6 protectors?

8. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
  9. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks!
    For now, I have found an old £1 film protector for iPhone lying in a drawer, I cut it to size and bubbles and dust notwithstanding (I think somebody tried using it and then stuck it back on its packaging holder), the touch functionality has hardly diminished at all! Visibility is still the same too (even bubbles/dust are hardly visible when lcd is on).

Will definitely get a new film protector now and highly recommend them to everybody! :2thumbs:

10. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    UK
    Colin B
    I use the ATFolix one on my GX1, touch screen is probably a little less sensitive but perfectly useable, all in all I'm happy with it and like being able to stick it down on its back when changing lenses without worrying.

11. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    Yes. I use Lexard brand (via Amazon)