1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Screen protector for GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by turbodieselvw, Apr 12, 2011.

1. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I'm trying out a GF2 with viewfinder to see how comfortable it feels in my hands. Has anyone found an LCD screen protector that can be used on the GF2 without mess up the operation of the touch screen?

2. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    Just search around for reviews on cell phone screen protectors. Most people on here use a glass protector, but I do not know if those will transmit the touches. I use a Realook on both my GF1 and epic 4G phone. Any layer between the screen and your finger will hurt sensitivity, but after a few days with it on my phone, I didn't notice it anymore.

3. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I'm assuming the glass type protectors won't work with the GF2. So has anyone tried any sort of LCD protector with their GF2?

4. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't think the glass types will work unfortunately.

I bought a cheap one off ebay: 4x Ultra Clear Screen Protector Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 | eBay

It works fine, I forget it's even there, but I think it increases the amount of reflection on the screen. If you find a high quality solution, keeps us updated :)

5. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I think I've found the answer. I was looking at the Zagg invisibleshield and since it works on ipods and the iphone, it should work on the GF2.

6. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

Best to research a bit further on that. I understand that the GF2 has a resistive touchscreen as opposed to a capacitive touchscreen on the ipod. Although I may be wrong on this one.

7. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I've sent Zagg an email asking if it'll work. Waiting to hear from them.

8. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    mqavila is right. two different technologies, I doubt that the Zagg will work, not if it's real stiff anyways.

9. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Be sure to mention the screen is resistive/non-capacitive.

10. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    I had a zagg on my pre. It is a floppy, film with one sticky surface. The problem with the film ones is that they tend to get "orange-peel". Any reflection scree protectors add get much worse with the orange-peel wrinkles. Since the gf2 has a flat screen, they stick just fine. (Unlike my pre where they wrap around edges, and it lifted with a few months)
    Resistive vs capacitive shouldn't make any difference.

11. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Orange peel? Zagg doesn't have screen protectors for the GF2 specifically, so are do you have to buy a larger one and cut it down by hand?

Unless the film is thick and not very flexible.

12. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    Let me clarify: I have used 4 screen protectors in the past:
    zagg installed on palm pre - floppy film, didn't stick too well. After a month the touch surface started to get bumpy, resembled an orange peel.
    cheap, no-name ebay also on pre - same as zagg, but started peeling off within a week.
    skinomi touchskin on wive's lg optimus - floppy film, but has not developed the orange peel texture. In my experience, it is a better product than the zagg. It sticks better than the zagg, but it does not wrap around corners, which is where the zagg detached from my pre.
    realook on my epic 4g and gf1 - hard plastic sheet. Sticks perfectly, no funky texture developing, but is more scratch prone.

As for resistive vs. capacitive with hard protectors: I assumed this would be a real issue on phones trying to detect character recognition, but not so much an issue on cameras where you just need single taps. I have never tried it though.
    In my experience, hard screen protectors last longer, are easier to apply, and look better on capacitive screens. IF they still allow enough deflection to register on a resistive touch surface, than I would 100% recommend them over a floppy film. IF they hinder touch capabilities, then of course the floppy films are better.

13. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I don't have experience with this either, I can't imagine a hard protector working, but I could be wrong. I would love to see this tested :)

14. turbodieselvw

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I'm with KSN on this. I can't see how a hard protector would work but it would be great if it did.