Screen Protector for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ig7, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I am looking to replace a screen protector for my E-M1 with Expert Shield Screen Protector. I have a choice of ordering crystal clear, anti glare or glass. Any suggestions?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have a Zagg or similar, and it has a lot of indentations in it now from my PD strap's plastic buckles, etc. Also it's bubbled on one edge.

Next time, I'd get glass or at least a hard composite (polycarbonate?)

3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have a Micro Solution Digital Camera Anti-Fingerprint, Oleophobic HD Display Protection Film on my EM1. It's lasted a couple of years and is still clear. Dunno how it compares to the Expert Shield, but it sounds similar. MicroSolution USA - Camera

Might not be available anymore, so maybe the Expert Shield is the way to go. I prefer clear, not antiglare.

I used to buy glass screen protectors for my Canon DSLRs, but several cracked due to impact. I suppose that means it protected the display, but I think I would get an impact-resistant screen protector.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I stopped to buy specialized screen protectors for my cameras and other devices - now I just cut phone screen protectors to required size.

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep this is the way I go as well.

Regards

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No - don't start that debate!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I put a screen protector on my GX7 just because my GX1 screen delaminated a bit. Even though the problem has been fixed and there haven't been any reports of it on newer cameras, it seemed like a good preemptive action.

On the other hand, I don't even care about scratches on my front elements (though I don't think I have any), since they don't show up. :) I guess the main disadvantage is that it reduces resale value. That's a real bummer, losing 20-30% of a lens' value instantly even if it doesn't matter in the real world.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    I am thinking about getting both, anti glare and clear, they are cheap enough, and compare in real life

10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    After I saw someone come into the Canon service center with a scratched up display and a friend complained about the deep scratches on his PM1's rear display, I got a screen protector for my Canon 7D. Did so for my Olympi as well. The screen is far more exposed than a lens front element, which is usually protected by a cap. There ain't no cap for a screen and no hood. Good enough reason for me. :)

11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Larmor. Glass, self-adhesive that has no bubbles when applied, leaves no residue when removed, and maintains clarity better than the Polyester or Polyurethane screen protectors.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ig7

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank ou, will try glass too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.