Screen Protector for E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ig7, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am looking to replace a screen protector for my E-M1 with Expert Shield Screen Protector. I have a choice of ordering crystal clear, anti glare or glass. Any suggestions?
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I have a Zagg or similar, and it has a lot of indentations in it now from my PD strap's plastic buckles, etc. Also it's bubbled on one edge.

Next time, I'd get glass or at least a hard composite (polycarbonate?)
  3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a Micro Solution Digital Camera Anti-Fingerprint, Oleophobic HD Display Protection Film on my EM1. It's lasted a couple of years and is still clear. Dunno how it compares to the Expert Shield, but it sounds similar. MicroSolution USA - Camera

Might not be available anymore, so maybe the Expert Shield is the way to go. I prefer clear, not antiglare.

I used to buy glass screen protectors for my Canon DSLRs, but several cracked due to impact. I suppose that means it protected the display, but I think I would get an impact-resistant screen protector.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I stopped to buy specialized screen protectors for my cameras and other devices - now I just cut phone screen protectors to required size.
  5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Yep this is the way I go as well.

6. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    I bet you guys have filters on your lenses too [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No - don't start that debate!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I put a screen protector on my GX7 just because my GX1 screen delaminated a bit. Even though the problem has been fixed and there haven't been any reports of it on newer cameras, it seemed like a good preemptive action.

On the other hand, I don't even care about scratches on my front elements (though I don't think I have any), since they don't show up. :) I guess the main disadvantage is that it reduces resale value. That's a real bummer, losing 20-30% of a lens' value instantly even if it doesn't matter in the real world.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am thinking about getting both, anti glare and clear, they are cheap enough, and compare in real life
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    After I saw someone come into the Canon service center with a scratched up display and a friend complained about the deep scratches on his PM1's rear display, I got a screen protector for my Canon 7D. Did so for my Olympi as well. The screen is far more exposed than a lens front element, which is usually protected by a cap. There ain't no cap for a screen and no hood. Good enough reason for me. :)
  11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Larmor. Glass, self-adhesive that has no bubbles when applied, leaves no residue when removed, and maintains clarity better than the Polyester or Polyurethane screen protectors.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank ou, will try glass too