1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Screen Problem on E-PM2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Darthpnoy88, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    ImageUploadedByMu-431405309112.443809.

I've had this camera since March and recently used it for my nephew's graduation I love the camera and all. I turned it on today I noticed my screen was like this as shown in the picture I've never dropped the camera it's been stored on my small Manfrotto bag for about a week now. I still have the Olympus warranty card on it so I'm hoping they can fix this.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

2. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    [rant warning] I have to say that olympus seems to have an inordinate amount of issues with their cameras. Many QC/shoddy build reports regarding the em10 and to an extent the em1 on these forums. Easy to dismiss as unrepresentative internet complaints until I ordered an epm2 for myself. The first one had an issue warranting replacement. And the replacement came with a lens that's zoom is notchy and loose. Not worth sending it back. After all olympus kit lenses and the 40-150 are built like cheap toys.

Sans a massive deal like the $199 epm2, I am staying away from oly.

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Odd, almost looks like one of the Oly art-filters.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I do not think that's a screen problem, because the text on the sides is still clear. If you take a video, or change to an aspect ratio that uses the whole screen, will the crackle effect then fill the whole screen? Then I think that would be a sensor problem.You could also bring up a review picture and see if that's clear.

I've had good results with their repair in the past 12 months. Good luck.

5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Do the photos come out normal?

Like phigmov said, looks like one of the art filters (Key Line), but your screen indicates you're not using one.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    All my digital Olympus gear has served me well, with nary a problem, though I don't doubt that others are having trouble. I wonder if it is a recent issue.

I do remember 30 years ago or so, Olympus had problems with the soldering in their OM-2. I had two with the issue before giving up and deciding on another trusty as a faithful hound OM-1 as my backup.

If it is still under warranty, Olympus will have to take care of it. That's what warranties are for, and if a company tries to weasel out (I'm not saying Oly will; they have always been up front in my dealings with them), why then you raise holy hell and make them honor the warranty.

7. Darthpnoy88

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Thank guys I actually called Olympus this morning they told me to just send in and will have a look at it. Actually the pictures are still coming out normal just the screen itself is acting weird.

8. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Before you send it in you should try to reset the camera to factory defaults.
    As others have said, the screen itself is not broken and if the pictures come out fine then the sensor is fine as well.
    Therefore it has to be the image rendering to the screen which is causing this and a reset might fix that.
    Rudy

9. Darthpnoy88

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Actually did that as well and pulled the battery but was still the same effect..