Scree

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Very nice, even though you broke a composition rule of bisecting the image with your horizon line ... the image has enough drama where it still works. If this photo is any indiction of your soil I am:

1) amazed that plants grow in rocks (tough buggers they are); and
    2) I now realize why Brits so eagerly set sail for the new world.

Gary

PS- great perspective for added drama and great exposure to capture cloud detail and rock detail.
    G

PPS- What is a "Scree", other than the noise emitted by mammals when walking on your soil?
    G

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great shot!

And I love it when folks get down low to grab the shot! :2thumbs:

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm with RT....getting down low for the shot MAKES this one! And I'm also with Gary.....I hate it when the horizon goes right down the middle.

And here you go Gary.... Scree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Nice low-angle landscape! Might even consider backing up a little bit more to emphasize the rocks vs. the plants. Thanks for sharing,

DH

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Luke, in geology we were taught this as "Talus".

Gary

PS- Luke, drove up to Pinot Noir country yesterday and ran into some Wisconsins at The Wine Ghetto. They said they knew you and even more surprisingly that summers in Wisconsin are better than summers in California ... really? ... and that they were out coached during the MLB playoffs last season.

G

7. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    looking at the rock and especially from Wales, I would say this is spoil from slate mining, plants do eventually get a foothold, even seen trees rooting in it

great shot by the way

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Summers in Wisconsin can occasionally have a weeks of oppressive humidity, but Lake Michigan is the 5th largest Lake in the world and because of our brutal winters, the water stays cold a long time, so we're blessed with wonderful cool breezes.

Also, we have a near endless supply of fresh, drinkable water which in the future will be more valuable than oil. Also.....no earthquakes (usually)

I must say I'm surprised they said they know me.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I dunno, they said Wisconsin is a friendly play and everybody knows everybody. While we haven't any great lakes ... mmmhh ... maybe Tahoe might be considered pretty good ... we have the Pacific Ocean ... runs up and down the entire state (more than 800 miles), which is larger than the 5th largest lake in the world, which is also very cold and in summer moderates the coastal temps rarely rise above the 80's and the evenings drop into the low 60's. When I lived in Manhattan Beach and Palos Verdes I didn't have or use any A/C. In winter, the Pacific causes the coastal temps to rarely drop below the 50's upper 40's at night.

All that fresh water is cool, like Northern California.

Gary

PS- I do quote you when I describe Larusso as a punk. :smile:
    G

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm quite certain that I'd enjoy having a beer with you. Maybe one day I can meet you for a Dodgers game.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... I'm there. Go Blue!

G