1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Scratchy shutter on e-pl1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Grover, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Grover

Grover New to Mu-43

May 24, 2011
    My shutter has started making a scratchy sound, kind of like rusty scissors, every time it opens and closes. It's clearly abnormal and louder than the usual clicking sound that it normally makes. I've attached a recording of this sound.

I thought I might somehow have gotten sand inside the camera body, but testing the shutter with no lens, all appears normal, except for the sound it makes. Also it sounds very slow, considering the speed of the shutter. The recording I made is from a 1 second exposure.

The sensor is nice and clean and the camera seems to work fine otherwise, the pictures appear normal, but I'm still worried. I want to take it in to the shop for a repair, but considering I have to pay just for an estimate, it's really not reassuring (am I the only one who has something against paying to find out how much I have to pay?)

I'm planning on an upgrade this summer, so I might just keep using it as is and replace it entirely if/when it dies.

Attached Files:

2. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I don't know what is wrong with your shutter, but i would suggest another camera shop for the repair if you have one. Any shop that is worth their salt should not be charging you just to have a look at the camera, that to me is ludicrous, or maybe i am just used to a very good local camera store.

3. thelug3r

thelug3r New to Mu-43

Mar 18, 2012
    I feel like that has happened to me a couple times, as well as when I focus (with the kit lens) it might do that possibly 1/100 exposures, more likely less frequent than that. However, either restarting my camera or just taking more pictures usually solves the sound issue. But if it is for every expposure, 100% of the time I'd get it checked out.

4. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I'm truly guessing here, but it sounds like a problem with the battery ( low charge ) , or possibly a capacitor ( or something similar ) is not firing properly.
    Try cleaning the battery contacts as there might be some buildup of dirt. Camera contacts also.
    It's someplace to start.