Scratched Rear Lens Element

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bball12, Jun 8, 2012.

1. bball12

bball12 New to Mu-43

May 15, 2012

I scratched my rear lens element on my 14-42 epl 1 kit lens. Currently, the smears do appear when photographing light backgrounds. Are there remedies to remove the scratch.

If the scratch cannot be removed physically, are there digital softwares that can remove the scratch?

Thank You

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    Hi there

it's possible to remove anything with photoshop these days, but I really don't think that's gonna fix the image.

I once have had the Oly 14-42 II, and there was plenty of dust and fiber hanging inside the rear element, far smaller than this, and they were visible when shooting stopped down below f16; so if the scratch appears in your regular shots, it's already gone too far to fix in photoshop imho.
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    The best (only?) fix is probably a browse through the Member Adds section of this forum, where you could pick up a 'new' lens for next to bugger all - the various 14-42s don't really have the strongest re-sale :)
  4. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    sadly the only reemedy is to replace the lens

There is only one choice ....

replace the lens.

Luckily it was not an expensive scratch!

5. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

You can remove it in Photoshop, but that works best automatically in areas of smooth tone like sky, not in areas of fine detail. But because of the position sooner or later you will find the scratch leaves an artifact across somebody's face or an important detail and that can't be removed.

If you had scratched the front element in all probability it wouldn't have made any difference to the image, but as the others have said, you can get these lenses so cheap I would put it down to experience.

6. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    As others have said I'd replace the lens - I'm sure if you post a WTB here you'll get a decent price on one of the kit zooms.
  7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    You should be able to find a replacement for $50 - $80. The mkII I've even seen for as little as $60 on this site. So it shouldn't be a very costly mistake.
  8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes...and one of the major NY dealers has that lens new for $99. You can't polish a scratch like that out, and if you could it would cost several times the cost of replacing the lens.
  9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    But once you find a new lens, try the old-school "fix" for a front element and see if it helps at all... get some "India Ink" at an art supply store and fill the scratch with a pin. Dip the pin in the ink and lightly touch the scratch, the ink should "run" into the scratch as you dab it carefully. Again, as this is the rear element, it might not work, but what have you got to lose?