Scratch-proofness of Sony sensors & sensor cleaning tips overall.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not sure where to put this, so I made a new thread. Found this very interesting as I haven't cleaned sensors too many times myself yet.

In the video the guy shows what happens when you rub dust, dirt, thumb and a knife on a Sony sensor.

As we know, M43 cameras nowadays use Sony sensors, so this is applicable to our cameras.

Feel free to share your best sensor cleaning tip videos here and other related things.

Below in the spoiler I tell the video test results, so people have some thrill watching it if they want.

The result was that the knife was too much. It left a couple big scratches, but surprisingly few. All of the other dangers to the sensor didn't leave a mark.

Of course the inspection of the results was done with naked eye and very small scratches are possible to have gone unnoticed.

This is interesting to me and makes me much calmer while doing this operation. They guy even rubs the swab back and forth on the sensor.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have never cleaned a sensor.
You know, I’m so paranoid about having to, that I have never even looked at mine, for fear of seeing something that doesn’t belong there.... this works for me. :)

Honestly I am rather concerned about damaging the IBIS system instead of damaging the sensor itself. I mean the first and only time so far I've cleaned the sensor of my Pen-F, the sensor was wobbling around and it was somewhat hard to understand how much pressure is too much and if I already would do some harm to the IBIS.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Honestly I am rather concerned about damaging the IBIS system instead of damaging the sensor itself. I mean the first and only time so far I've cleaned the sensor of my Pen-F, the sensor was wobbling around and it was somewhat hard to understand how much pressure is too much and if I already would do some harm to the IBIS.
Some people recommend turning the camera on for cleaning. I did this myself and it went okay. This way the IBIS keeps the sensor in the same place.

Only thing I wonder is that then the sensor could attract more dust when it's on and open. So I did this in shower, if there would be less dust around.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom