1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Scottish Mountains, Winter

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by OpenCS, Nov 9, 2013.

1. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    It's the most wonderful time of the year :) A couple from a walk in the Cairngorms and a circuitous drive back home :)

Northern Corries, Cairn Gorm
    10763159454_18f928ecf0_o.

Northern Corries, Cairn Gorm
    10763140946_83d476271a_o.

Allt Coire an t-Sneachda
    10763133126_331d78013a_o.

Climbers in Coire an Lochain.
    10763356924_95d18dcaf1_o.

Buachaille Etive Mor
    10763333583_4e04e4b9a1_o.

Stob Ghabar (I think, hard to tell)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 28
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Amazing, amazing. Scotland is so uniquely beautiful, I might need to crank some older Runrig! I especially love the brook.

3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Simply gorgeous! I would love to visit someday.

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Very moving: there are no other landscapes like these anywhere.

5. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Cheers :) Forgot to say, EPM1 with Lumix 14mm, Sigma 30mm and Olympus 40-150.

Will add to this thread as the winter progresses (hopefully, long as I can get up there).

6. CreationBear

CreationBear Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    Simply amazing--I've only glimpsed that country from the A9, but I guessed they were holding some secrets tight.

This might be one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions, but do you have any advice on metering scenes where there is a combination of snowfield and bare, darker rock, gorse, or heather? It might just be your latitude (not to mention cloud cover) -- or your post processing skills -- but I'm really drawn to how "dark" these pictures are.

7. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    Posts like this make me hate the place I live... I guess ill have to stick to my yearly mountaineering vacation ;) Stunning photos of a beautiful landscape!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mu-43 mobile app

8. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Cheers again :)

I find it easier to shoot snowy scenes because there's not so much difference between the exposure required for a proper sky and that required for the ground, but my advice is to embrace the contrast and decide on what you think is most important. Use manual; the meter gives you a clue, but don't let your meter dictate to you. I usually shoot around 2/3 of a stop darker than the meter recommends, because most of the time the sky is the most important element to get right in my shots. Under normal conditions, this can lead to massively underexposed ground detail. Snow is not so bad :) Anyway, the darkness of my images is largely a result of this mindset - I do a lot of post process, and a lot of it involves actively darkening images even more than they already were.

That said, a lot of people DO find my shots to be way too dark (and to be fair, most of these shots have large areas of darkness with no real detail), so it can be a tough call. I like contrast, and I trust in the experience of human beings to fill in the detail in the dark areas of my shots. Some people approve, some people prefer a more flat look.

By way of example re. post process, here are before/afters for three of those shots. First ones are directly out of camera with no processing at all.

Cairngorms
    RBR9rex.

10763159454_18f928ecf0_o.

Coire an Lochain
    nYe8R3l.

10763356924_95d18dcaf1_o.

Buachaille
    t66zPpn.

10763333583_4e04e4b9a1_o.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  9. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    thanks for the photos !
    6 months to go to my next hike there, i cant wait :p

10. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Heh :) I live just close enough to put most of these mountains within day trip reach of me, happily. They're long days, but mountains like these are worth the expedition :)

11. Joe King

Joe King Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

12. CreationBear

Aug 11, 2013
    Many thanks for the elaboration, epecially with the "before and after" examples. For myself, the "dark" processing really captures the latent power of any high country--nobody with any experience is ever fooled by bluebird skies.

At any rate, great skills on display, not the least in staying warm and dry enough to operate a camera...:smile:

13. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Heh, I'd forgotten how much of a nuisance it was to use an EPM1 and change lenses with gloves on :)

I think you're right about the darker processing accentuating the altitude and wilderness; that's also why I desaturate greens and yellows, to make things appear more stark and monochromatic which is certainly the way these places feel even if they don't always look that way. The other thing is, and I didn't realise this myself until my girl pointed it out to me, that when I take the shots I'm generally wearing sunglasses or goggles to keep out the wind/rain/snow - another reason why darker looks natural to me, perhaps less so to others.

Thanks again, anyway :) Always nice to get feedback from a fellow high places enthusiast :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I love how open the members of this community are about sharing their skills, experience, and post processing. Your before and after post is wonderful. I actually prefer the first one SOOC, but the post processing on the other two is amazing.

15. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    Thanks, I love a good Before And After. I keep meaning to see if we have a thread here but always forget :) Will do a few more later if people find them interesting :)

16. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Awesome images! I need threads like this to remind me that my E-PM1 is still a great camera!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

17. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Fabulous shots of an enchanting countryside. Perhaps I should journey to the roots of my ancestors.

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I really want to visit Scotland before long. My wife is an ethnic Scot and wants to see the land of her ancestors. I can feel the cold wind in that second imafe. Nice work.

19. CreationBear

Aug 11, 2013
    Biro-- I don't know if you're into local history, but "East Jersey," (its capital, Perth Amboy) was one of the focal points of early Scottish immigration in North America. Specifically, a lot of Scots Quakers from the Aberdeen area who had run afoul of the Kirk came over in the late 17th Century.

20. OpenCS

OpenCS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Northumberland
    These are the other before and afters, for anybody who was interested in this sort of thing. As you can see, they're all well underexposed compared to what the camera would have wanted, but as I've already posted I'm a firm believer in taking the meter by the scruff of the neck and telling it that it's wrong :) I always expose for the most important element in the shot, irrespective of how small a part that element plays in the final image. Meters want everything to be uniformly exposed, which is all well and good but in my experience the human eye responds better to the contrast that the meter tries to vanquish :)

Stob Ghabar
    Ti3im1U.

Walkers, Coire an Lochain
    ffRYJ41.

10763140946_83d476271a_o.

Allt Coire an t-Sneachda
    LQMXmaE.

10763133126_331d78013a_o.

Thanks again for the comments and likes. I was lucky to be in Scotland when the weather was this obliging; it doesn't always look like this :)

• Like Like x 1