1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

scored an OM-D with 14-42... keep kit lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by djonesii, Jun 14, 2012.

1. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Dear forum and native lens lovers:

As the title says, I just scored an OM-D ( from an authorized dealer, at retail!) Anyhow, it came with a kit lens.

Right now, I have the 9-18, 14-150, 100-300, 20,25,45 ....

I shot my last street with the 9-18, a great range for street.

The 14-140 is too big for that use IMHO...

The 20 seems a bit slow focusing for this use, and while the size is nice, I find it just a touch long for street, and a bit short for portrait.

The 25 is stellar

The 45 too.

So, what's rolling around in my head is:

Sell off the 20m, keep the kit lens as it's small and for those moments when I want a zoom longer than the 9-18, I'm good.

On the other hand, I could sell the kit, 20 AND/OR the 14-140 to get the other kit lens, the 12-50 .... I'm coming to appreciate wide more than tele, and I still covered at the really long end .... but with a gap ( I could off course keep the 14-140)

I shoot a variety of stuff Kids General, kids sports ( yeah, I know, get a DSLR, but this is not DPR then is it? they are kids!), some city/street, a bit of landscape, and I still am an associate at a studio ( The big gun is a Phase One P30+/Mamiya AFD) Most of what I shoot is the kids and associated events, your thoughts appreciated.

Dave

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I would ditch the kit lens and the 20.

The 25 would cover everyday stuff...the 9-18 for wide, the 45 for portrait (or macro...not sure which 45 you have) and the 14-140 for when you need more reach.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Also my sentiment. You've got the 25mm for speed/light gathering ability - it is slightly tighter field of view, but not a giant difference. The 9-18mm is close enough to the 20mm as well that the combination of 9-18 and 25mm negates the need for the 20mm. The only reason to keep the kit lens would be for fast focusing speed and a compact carry-around. Whether that is worth keeping over $100 in your pocket is up to you!

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do you have the 14-140 or 14-150. Those are two very different lenses, but if you aren't using the range, then sell it off anyway.

Only you can make the call on the 20, but I ended up with both the 20 and 25, just because of their various strengths (size, vs. bright aperture).