1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

scored an OM-D with 14-42... keep kit lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by djonesii, Jun 14, 2012.

1. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Dear forum and native lens lovers:

As the title says, I just scored an OM-D ( from an authorized dealer, at retail!) Anyhow, it came with a kit lens.

Right now, I have the 9-18, 14-150, 100-300, 20,25,45 ....

I shot my last street with the 9-18, a great range for street.

The 14-140 is too big for that use IMHO...

The 20 seems a bit slow focusing for this use, and while the size is nice, I find it just a touch long for street, and a bit short for portrait.

The 25 is stellar

The 45 too.

So, what's rolling around in my head is:

Sell off the 20m, keep the kit lens as it's small and for those moments when I want a zoom longer than the 9-18, I'm good.

On the other hand, I could sell the kit, 20 AND/OR the 14-140 to get the other kit lens, the 12-50 .... I'm coming to appreciate wide more than tele, and I still covered at the really long end .... but with a gap ( I could off course keep the 14-140)

I shoot a variety of stuff Kids General, kids sports ( yeah, I know, get a DSLR, but this is not DPR then is it? they are kids!), some city/street, a bit of landscape, and I still am an associate at a studio ( The big gun is a Phase One P30+/Mamiya AFD) Most of what I shoot is the kids and associated events, your thoughts appreciated.

Dave

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I would ditch the kit lens and the 20.

The 25 would cover everyday stuff...the 9-18 for wide, the 45 for portrait (or macro...not sure which 45 you have) and the 14-140 for when you need more reach.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Also my sentiment. You've got the 25mm for speed/light gathering ability - it is slightly tighter field of view, but not a giant difference. The 9-18mm is close enough to the 20mm as well that the combination of 9-18 and 25mm negates the need for the 20mm. The only reason to keep the kit lens would be for fast focusing speed and a compact carry-around. Whether that is worth keeping over $100 in your pocket is up to you!

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do you have the 14-140 or 14-150. Those are two very different lenses, but if you aren't using the range, then sell it off anyway.

Only you can make the call on the 20, but I ended up with both the 20 and 25, just because of their various strengths (size, vs. bright aperture).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.