1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Scored an E-PL2; advice?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sprinke, Jul 7, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I won an E-PL2 body on ebay for (what I think is) a fantastic price ... $168!! Can't wait for it to arrive.

In the meantime, can fellow E-PL2 owners give me some tips and tricks about how to get the best out of the camera? Or what shooting situations to be aware of? This is my first Olympus body; I have a GH2 (and love it).

I plan to mostly use the E-PL2 with the 20mm to have a nice compact kit in my purse.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Congrats, I agree you got yourself a really nice deal. You don't see many one-day sales on eBay...I gotta think that's what kept the price down. Good thing I didn't see that auction or I would've probably driven up the price for you.

I don't have an E-PL2, but I do own it's predecessor. The first things you're probably going to want to do when you get it are turn on the Super Control Panel and then change the function of the "video" button to be anything but video (since otherwise you'll start filming a bunch of random video whenever you nudge that button). I use that button generally for back-button focus.

Other than that, just shoot. Coming from Panasonic, it's likely you'll find the Olympus menus pretty foreign. I don't generally see a lot of love for the Oly controls from those who are used to a Panny, but I suspect that if you give it a chance you'll gain a comfort level (even if you never grow to love the Oly controls). I think you will like the IBIS (particularly if you shoot with any legacy lenses) and the fantastic colors of the JPEGs.

If you hate it, let me know and I'll be happy to take it off your hands for what you have in it. :wink: