Schooner "Coronet" Restoration. Newport, RI

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This was taken this week in Newport. Part of my oft mentioned plan to document what's around me, day to day.

This is the Schooner Coronet

Coronet is the world's only remaining Gilded Age vessel

Built in 1885 for New York Yacht Club member, Rufus T. Bush, Coronet is 192 feet over all and built entirely of wood, including wooden treenail fastenings. Her history includes sailing around the world twice, rounding the Horn five times, hosting Alexander Graham Bell, the King of Hawaii and the Emperor of Japan on board, a stint as flagship of the New York Yacht Club, providing transport for the first American/Japanese scientific project and transporting missionaries to Palestine and Africa.

Coronet has been afloat for all of her 119 years. Her hull planking, frames and ceiling are all original and her Stanford White interior is 90% intact.

J Class Management supervised the donation, stabilization, historical documentation, hauling and set up for the complete restoration of Coronet. The ongoing project, supervised by the International Yacht Restoration School, will return Coronet to her original, nineteenth-century configuration with no engine or electricity on board.

The Mu-43 Gallery contains more. More still at my Mobile me gallery linked below.

Using two ยต43 bodies G1 & GF1. All 20mm shots with GF1. All 14-45mm with G1

feel free to download large images from Mobile Me Gallery and edit to your hearts content....

The full Gallery with EXIF data and large file downloads is available
    (if you want to poke around with PP) here: MobileMe Gallery

The partial MU-43 Gallery is here:Newport. NYRS & Coronet - Mu-43 Gallery

Under Sail, 1925

Coronet_Under_Sail.

Starboard Bow

Starboard_From_Bow.

Starboard Side form ground

P1000801.

Port Side

Port_Side.

Geometric Bow from below (a favorite)

Geometric_Bow.

Block & Tackle for restoration

Block_Tackle.

Restoration Crew Member

Restoration_Crew.

Looking Like Dino Bones

P1000793.

The Keel at Transom end, Work ongoing

Keel_at_Transom.

• Like Like x 10
  2. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Alan,
    She is just beautiful, as are your pictures. I have a photograph on my wall just behind me as I write this of my Uncles fathers yacht, a 2 masted topsail schooner with a ships boat in davits along the port side in much the same position as Coronets, so perhaps that one was of a similar size.

The restoration work looks very comprehensive and reminds me of the old road sweeper who was proud of never having had a new broom, just 7 broom heads and 3 broom handles. That's very much a bottom up rebuild, she certainly will be as good as new, wonderful to see, thanks so much for posting those.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Barrie,

Wow, it didn't take long for you to find the post.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's quite a bot of work to edit this many images, get the post together etc.

Nice to know someone enjoyed it.

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I won't be the only one :biggrin:

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  5. A great set of images, Alan and a nice bit of history to go with them. I'm wondering from looking at the images if you know how much of the original vessel will be retained and how much will be completely replaced. It does seem like some major surgery they are performing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Nic,

Thanks. It's been pointed out to me that the series is lacking in actual "restorers" working the schooner which would help bring it to life. I agree with that comment, but there we're only 3 other people on the entire site...and one small black and white dog.

The only fellow performing a task was the one I shot while he worked lying down.

Thanks for looking. Alan

7. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks Alan for posting those great photos of the reincarnation of history! I grew up dreaming to sail before the mast but the best that I was able to do in my teens was to sail aboard an Albatross 23 footer on Lake Ontario!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I must have missed the dog, but the shots of that boat's skeleton are really a nice piece of work. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    That series of shots came out extraordinarily well . . .

You should be proud of those!

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks for the kind words. i'm always interested in a critique though.

My goal was to find a way to convey the overall feel of my experience there, that day, with vey little activity.. just a large space and subject.

I hope I got it across. But it seems as though it took forever for folks to find the thread.

Alan

11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Luke,

Thanks. the dog is in the 4th picture down color (port side) he's down in the lumber pile. There's a restorer there as well... The boat is so big in the space that you have to really stare to see them...

Alan