1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

School Play with 20mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by muzee, Apr 3, 2013.

1. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    These are a few snaps from my kids' school play last week.
    All shots taken handlheld with E-PL2 and Pana 20mm, Auto ISO:

First off, we were sitting way up here:

8617199556_053f44a618_b.

So that gives an idea the how far away from the stage we were.

Had to crop to get some details .. think the 20mm did a good job given the conditions, and distance.

Kids singing:

8617201336_a41f997d86_b.

CAST and volunteers on stage:

8616111903_3df2bcecfd_b.

... converted to BW:
    8617217082_0a6d0b9205_b.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    That's some school your kid goes to. My school auditorium didn't look anything like that!

3. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    hah :) ... it was held at the community centre's theatre.

4. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    My community centre didn't look like that either :D

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Everything's nicer in Canada.

Good stuff, muzee. You need to get yourself a tele lens for next time, or at least pop on the Canon 50mm.

6. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Great shots! I agree with everyone else, that's some place to be shooting a play! That said, I know some schools aren't keen on photography being placed on the Internet. Just a head's up, as I'm a teacher and know that our school has strict rules applying to this.

But if your daughter's school doesn't mind, then that's ace. Great shots, I agree with the poster before me, a tele would have made them even better!

Hope you enjoyed the show! :smile:

7. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    Thanks.

With the 50mm I spend too much time fussing with the focus, and miss too many shots (out of focus) ... and by spending time on camera, miss the actual show.

I just went the easy route - auto focus, auto ISO and let the camera and lens do their thing.

Now cool story:

Telephoto ... Had the Oly 40-150 which I took on vacation.
    While trying to get good shots of the kids, I slipped and fell with camera in hand. The lens snapped right off at the mount, leaving the connecting plate on the camera. So that was it for the zoom. Camera survived, except that one of the connecting pins (the one that controls the aperture on Auto lens), popped out and was lost forever. So now I'm stuck with a manual-lens-only camera.

Luckily I had my trusty Leatherman and was able to McGyver a makeshift pin (from a safety pin) to enable auto lens again... see the one sticking out?? :)

As for me, I was stuck with a black eye for months :) .... Hello!:

Moral of the story - I haven't any new lens since ... need to figure upgrading the body first :)

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Wow, that sounds like a painful tumble (to your eye, your wallet as well as to your pride I would guess). :frown:

I'm sorta shocked that the lens would pop off like that. Perhaps that's one hidden advantage of the plastic mount lenses; they can be thought of as a sort of breakaway mount that limits the damage to the camera mount itself.