School me on using adapted 43 lenses, please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ~tc~, May 1, 2011.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So I bought a PL14-150 f/2.8-3.5 and have some questions about how to use it.

Aperture ring - it appears you can set it manually via either the ring or the camera. If you want to control it from the camera, the ring needs to be set to A, and if you want to set it manually on the lens, the camera must be in A mode to read the aperture. Is that correct?

Focus - are all 43 lenses focus by wire? Is it true that everything beyond 3' or so will be infinity focus?

2. Hi tc,

I'm not sure if the aperture ring will work on anything other than the Panasonic L1 SLR. On my Pen and Olympus SLRs it doesn't seem to matter what the aperture ring is set to - I can still use all modes and control the aperture via the camera. I read somewhere that it should be set to 'A' but apparently not on Olys.

All Panny, Panny/Leica, and Zuiko 4/3 lenses are focus by wire. The only 4/3 lenses which aren't are the Sigmas. 3' is the last distance marker on the Leica 14-50. For some reason there is very little travel on the focus ring between 3' and infinity, much less than on a Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 (to compare it to an equivalent lens). Whether this is due to the smaller sensor (and slightly greater inherent depth of field) I don't know.

Does the 14-50 autofocus on your GF1?

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Looking at the screen, it appears to change the aperture as you turn the ring, but only of you are in A mode on the body. Putting the aperture ring on A allows you to control from the camera "like normal".

Cool. Not a problem, was just wondering.

Nope

4. It looks like Panasonic must program even their m4/3 camera bodies to utilise the aperture ring on the lens, whereas Olympus seems to ignore it completely on their 4/3 and m4/3 bodies.

The autofocus works on my E-P1 but s-l-o-w-l-y. Otherwise it's a great lens though. This was my own experience with the lens;

https://www.mu-43.com/f81/leica-14-50mm-f2-8-3-5-d-vario-elmarit-image-thread-10088/

I ended up getting an E-510 4/3 body to be able to make the most of the autofocus, although I think the Pen has a slight edge in IQ.

5. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Bottom line is - Pany bodies will allow aperture via ring or auto, Oly bodies only via auto.
    Auto focus, 14-50 elmarit no, 14-50 elmar yes
    14-150 yes - all when used on Pany bodies.
    I do believe they will AF (slowly) on ply bodies.
    Same applies to PL25mm also.

• Like Like x 1