1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

School Assignment - What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by darcius1, Sep 16, 2014.

1. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    This is from my child's middle school:

As part of our discussion on the cinematography side of video production, on Monday we had a brief lesson on DSLR cameras and their use in modern filmmaking, both mainstream and independant. (If you would like to know what DSLR means, ask your student! ;))

That said, on Wednesday we will be familiarizing ourselves with DSLR cameras to shoot video. While it is NOT necessary to purchase a camera to participate in this class, several students have asked if they could bring their own personal DSLR cameras to class on Wednesday. I will permit this on two conditions: 1) that the camera is, in fact, a DSLR and 2) that students not share their personal cameras as the risk for breaking is high.

If you don't know whether or not yours or your student's personal camera is a DSLR, please email me the make and model, and I will let you know.

Again, it is NOT necessary to purchase a DSLR camera for this course. All assignments can be completed with the iPad camera. However, in order to expose students to this important filmmaking technology, I will be providing 4 cameras to be shared between groups of students.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I would ask her what is specifically special about a Single Reflex Camera (SLR) for video work, compared to any other ILC (including ones without a mirror). Just as she is educating her students, maybe she could learn something new as well? Given the love for the GH series in particular in modern independant filmmaking, it shows that the mirror isn't integral to the process.

Edit: I would frame the above politely, as you will get much more response by asking "Why this only?" vs "Why not other?" hostily.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    suspect person writing email to parents is not running the class

suspect person running the class has

1) specified DSLR because
    a) its a generic phrase
    b) its the only camera they know

regardless I hope they are actually teaching cinematography... ie how to work out a story, frame the shots, light them, get the sound and edit them together

making movies has nothing to do with cameras

K

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im thinking they dont want kids saying their iphones going to be their camera n goofing off on it, i mean, if the schools providing ipads for the class as the camera... i cant imagine a gh4 being turned away, lol
    it doesnt sound like a tech based issue

• Like Like x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Totally agree with Kevin, it's not about he camera. However, one of the students should bring in a DSLR that doesn't have video capability, that would stump them. Even better, bring in a BMCC, RED or the like and see what they say. :)

An a iPad is OK? :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    LOL!
    i would TOTALLY rent out a RED dragon for my kid! haha!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    He happened to use a DSLR as an example of a tool that could be used for shooting video. In returning a response wanted to illustrate depth of field.

Was okay with micro four thirds. My boy will bring his epl1 with 14-42 kit and 45/1.8.

It was the wording of the email to parents that irked me a little.

Thanks for all replies.

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Don't think of it as an insult, think of it as a teaching moment. Now in the future, he will probably say DSLR or other ILC cameras with aperture control.

• Like Like x 2