Schneider lenses for m4/3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Jun 12, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Has anybody heard any recent updates about the Schneider m4/3 lenses? IIRC they were expected in the spring, but here we are. In the meantime, Zeiss is already shipping their NEX and Fuji mount lenses.

2. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So now 43rumors says that the Schneider m4/3 lenses will be shipping in 2014. Late is better than never I suppose...

3. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Latest update on the Schneider m4/3 lens at 43 Rumors.

Schneider-Kreuznach-Super-Angulon-14mm-f2-0-5_1411042704_zpsad5a9f40.

Andrew

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Why is it that the design immediately makes me think of cheap, toy, lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I like the design. Just not interested in those focal lengths. They're not dissimilar to the Sony/Zeiss FE lenses. Modern, sleek, minimalist, functional.

Now if they'd released a 10mm...

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Not wild on that blue colour, but otherwise the design looks great. Do we really need more lenses in this range though? We've got so many primes and zooms in the 14-30 range already. How many of are still looking for a 7-9 rectilinear prime?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    They kind-of remind me of the late-model Exacta 66 lenses...
    That blue and black colour scheme has been their design since the early 80s.

I wonder how good they are. I wouldn't be surprised Schneider never releases these for consumers...

8. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    was kind of disappointed that the 2012 prototype 30mm f1.4 became a 2014 f2.4.. was thinking of getting it if it was released as a f1.4, weather sealed and as good as the panasonic 25mm..

9. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah I don't get the 30/2.4 at all, there is the very good Sigma 30/2.8 which will undoubtedly be about 5x cheaper, and the two excellent constant aperture standard zooms that cover this focal length. It doesn't appear to be a small lens either, so no real point to it IMO. 1.4 would have at least been interesting.

14/2 makes a bit more sense, but will have to be fantastic optically to warrant going with over the 12/2 or 14/2.5. The 14/2 would be very interesting on APS-C mounts like Sony/Fuji/Samsung, anyone know if these lenses are M43rds only designs or also cover APS-C?

10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Those are really modern looking lenses, they'd look great I bet with a black GX7, but they look weird with the retro Olympus.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm still looking but I've just about given up. Looks like we all might have to go with the 7-14mm f2.8 Pro lens next year?

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, it seems like these might actually make it out of the realm of pure vaporware, albeit 2 years later than originally claimed. Considering the updated specs and likely pricing, it's hard to get too excited though.

13. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's too bad.

Although I'm sure I wouldn't have paid the likely $1500+ price tag per lens anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Actually, all small-format lenses have been canceled. Focus will shift to large format, cine, and some medium format lenses they OEM (like PhaseOne and whatever's left of Rollei). I suppose some of the cine lenses may be compatible with m43 by using an adaptor.

oh well...