Schneider Kreuznach Joins Micro Four Thirds!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was excited to learn this morning that Schneider Kreuznach has joined the Micro Four Thirds standard! Schneider Kreuznach is a German manufacturer of industrial and photographic optics founded in 1913 and known for many innovative lens designs over the course of its existence. The announcement came as a surprise to me given the partnership between Schneider and Samsung/Pentax. This is a terrific development for Micro 4/3 users :2thumbs:.

Google-translated press release:
    Source: Photoscala via 43Rumors
    • Like Like x 7
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A new high grade lens manufacturer for micro 4/3?

Google translate.

Hard to tell how serious Schneider-Kreuznach are from this post but the prospect is exciting.:thumbup:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bill, I merged your thread into mine since we posted around the same time (actually yours was first :wink:).
    • Like Like x 2
  4. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    I really would like to see what Voigtlander and now Schneider-Kreuznach have in store for us in the coming year. I also keep waiting to hear more about Panasonic's 25mm 1.4. All in all this year is shaping up to be very interesting.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Great development! One of the reasons I like my EX1 is it's Schneider lens, which is very nice.

All the best,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Interestingly they do not mention a lens, but a "lens series"...
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Amin, your fast. You beat me to it ;)

This is fantastic news.
  8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Excellent development that is maybe going to bring us those fast prime lenses that we are all waiting for !

And now, Rodenstock !!! Pleaaaase ???

C U,
  9. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    I think one of the interesting things from this is that the company have made AF lenses for Samsung, which is something that Cosina via the Voigtlander brand are not known for. The press release is somewhat strangely worded, and the sentences - "The industry standard has been developed deliberately without taking into account conventional lenses, cameras or sensor sizes. In this way, compatibility problems with older components are avoided as is the need to compromise when designing new components." - are intriguing to say the least.

Schneider-Kreuznach have made pretty conventional zoom lenses for the Samsung versions of Pentax cameras but have also made tilt-shift lenses for DSLR's in addition to their cinema and large-format lenses. They have the experience and know-how to turn out virtually anything and its most definitely a surprising and welcome announcement. They obviously think that there is a commercial future in m4/3 and I think we can look forward to some interesting announcements.

This in addition to the fact that Voigtlander apparently sold out their first production run of the 25mm f/0.95 in a very short time.

Classy lenses for classy cameras. What could be better!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Remember, this is a google-translate. The meaning of the original (German, I would guess) may be completely altered.

This part I definitely agree with:

Obviously, they have seen some numbers that say there is a market and money to be made in the 4/3s group, and I'm sure the demand (and probably profit dollars associated with it) for the 25/0.95 played into that.

My question is, though, are they planning on making m43's lenses, or backfilling Olympus/Zuiko's apparent removal from the full size 4/3 market?
  11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    In the German text it simply looks to me as a general explanation why Micro FourThirds is a nice standard because it isn't burdened by compatibility requirements for older products.

It also says that the planning for a product range of lenses is already being made "at high revs", sounds like they mean business. Better start saving up, can't wait to see those lenses coming! :bravo-009:
  12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have use mostly Schneider-Kreuznach lenses on my enlargers and several on my large and medium format cameras and look forward to this.

My 90mm Angulon on my 6x9 Horseman field camera was one of my favorite lenses.
  13. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Hopefully they will have AF
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My thoughts exactly. Do Schneider Kreuznach do electronics as well as optics?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Schneider throws it's hat in the ring

Yes Narnian, second that on the Schneider lens, they are great. Now with them throwing down the gauntlet, and Voigtlander in the m4/3 also, we will finally get some lens that are designed right from the get go, instead of having to go thru 2 or 3 iterations getting to a proper lens for m4/3 and the competition will be good for all of us.
  16. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    They will be manual, schneider does high precision optics unless which in my opinion is not hard if they sign an agreement with either Olympus or panasonic for a joint development electronics done by Panasonic lens done by Schneider a bit like leica on 4/3.

Concerning other manufacturers even hough sigma has signed the agreement it iit testing the ground, the problem with such a huge manufacturer is that , why doing M4/3 only if you do M4/3 why not NEX or Samsung NX. The official answer i obtained a while ago is a bit like wait and see what standard will work then we will start producing lens for it.

Concerning Tamron NO plans , that is no wonder as sony is one of the share holders :p
  17. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    joins the "Micro Four Thirds System Standard Group"

The standard defines the sensor size, lens mount, together with communication protocol, ...

it will be autofocus. Manual lenses already abound. They won't make money if MF.
  18. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sadly that isn't really true, ALL the Schneider lenses released for Samsung were direct re-badges of Pentax lenses, they were even still made by Pentax, Samsung I guess just paid to put the S-K name on them...
  19. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

I welcome, make that excited at the prospect of Schneider Kreuznach making MFT lenses. Its at the point now where certain aspects of sensor and in camera image processing has to rise to the quality of the lenses!
  20. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    Won't make money? The Nokton is manual focus and costs a thousand big ones, and they can't make enough to keep them in stock.