1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Schneider Kreuznach 40mm F 2.8 ( enlarger lens)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Austrokiwi, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2016
    Schneider Kreuznach APO-Componon HM 2.8/40 HM.
    This lens is a high Resolution Enlarger lens. It won't appeal to many as a macro lens this adapted enlarger lens can produce phenomenal results. It cannot focus to infinity. Mounted normally it performs best below half sized magnification( 0.5X or 1-2). Reversed I have had it working out to 12X ( although diffraction is a serious issue at 12X). I fit it to my Oly E-M10II via a Kiwi brand M39-MFT adapter. I have three ways of using it, 1: M39 extension rings: SK40 m39 rings.

2: A Schneider Kreuznach Unifoc focusing Helicoid SK40 helicoid.

The helicoid I obtained with another Enlarger lens( since sold) Normally the Unifoc focusing Helicoids are expensive. A cheaper option would be to use a M42 Focusing helicoid with an M39-M42 adapter/stepping ring. Note: the locking screw is not original. The third method is to use a bellows( not shown).

The lens is designated HM for High modulation meaning High resolution: I have only tested my example of the lens and projecting the image of a 1951 USAF resolution target ( Via the 40/2.8) through a 10X microscope objective this is the result( crop of the very center of the target:

SK 40 F 2.8 resolution.

If you are not familiar with the target then the image above will not be particularly impressive. To explain: The crop is of a part of the target that is not visible to the human eye. In this case it shows that the lens is resolving to group 7 element 2... perhaps element 3.
    {look under the numeral 7 you can see the second set of lines still has both the vertical lines and Horizontal lines defined that is element 2}

Taking the measure as Group 7 element 2 this indicates the lens is resolving at 143 Cycles per mm ( a cycle is a black line followed by a white line). To put this in context the Oly E-M10II's sensor probably max's out at around Group 6 element 3 or 4 ( Group 6 element 1 is under group 7). What this test shows is the lens out-resolves the 16mp sensor of the E-M10II.

Here are some indicative test shots at some different magnifications: First and American Silver eagle coin at the lowest magnification I can get with the lens (0.1X a tenth of life sized )

0.1X reduced.

A US penny at 1-2( half life sized)
    half sized.

The previous two photographs were taken using M 39 extension rings. For High magnification work I reverse the SK40/2.8 and place it on a bellows or as in the next series of shots I use a Tube lens( in this case a Large format, Schneider Kreuznach 210/5.6 enlarger lens). Reversed on the 210mm enlarger lens I get 5.25X magnification( The US penny):

5.25X reduced.
    At 5.25 times the DOF is so shallow that the image properly I should actually use focus stacking. With two bellows linked together I can get 12X magnification, However this makes for an unmanageable set up so instead I use a 2X tele-convertor behind the SK210mm enlarger lens( this gives 10.5X magnification). Diffraction as can be seen is this photo becomes a significant issue.

10.5X penny reduced.

At this magnification Focus stacking( which I didn't use this time) is the only way to get sharp images.

{Note for the SK210mm to be an effective tube lens I mount it on a bellows and adjust the bellows extension to obtain infinity focus, then I mount the reverse SK40mm on to the 210mm.}

In my macro work the SK40/2.8 is an extremely versatile lens. However its not cheap, a new version costs very close to US$1000.00 and second hand models( like mine) tend to cost US$300 -US$500.00

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I'm more of a Rodenstock man myself, I still have their cousins the 40mm F4 APO-WA (also the 50/80 APO).
    The 40mm is too sharp for it's own good, final prints tend to show all the grain of the film for everyone to see :)

Another option with mounting is a cheap m42 helicoid and a m39 to m42 step up ring (or as you're aware, reversing them for higher resolution). M42 focusing helicoids are dirt cheap and easy to work with.

4080wa.

They don't have the same f2.8 allure however I'm happy with their results :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2016
    eteless How do you deal with the F4 aperture of the Rodagon. I struggle at times with the F 2.8 of the SK40 (I use the SK40 wide open) with just the 16mp sensor Diffraction is an issue at F6.9, this is an issue as at F2.8 using 2.5X mag the effective aperture is F7

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I only rarely use them for high magnification macro on digital so it doesn't pose problems for me, I'm also shooting for personal pleasure where I don't strive for absolute perfection and rather just enjoy the process (such as enlarging film when time allows, I enjoy going through the motions.... even if it's obsolete there's something soothing about enlarging a wet print).

I just thought I would offer the m42 helicoid as a different route available :)

5. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2016
    YOu may have missed my comment stating the same in my original post... The M42 Helicoid is the cheapest approach. The SK unifoc is over priced for what it does...luckily I got my example free with a lens

• Like Like x 1
  6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    So I did... my bad, sorry :(

7. Highway 61

Highway 61 New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2016
    Steve
    Thanks to the both of you for the info in this thread, it is just what I was looking for. I have the 45 and 90 Apo Comp. HM and a 63 Nikkor that I am eager to try with some bird feathers. Also building a sort of "mini bellows" out of an old 43-86 Nikon zoom for these lenses.

8. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2016
    An alternative to building a mini bellows would be to look for an M42 Bellows. Please note I am showing here are just example I don't know the sellers:
    Both have focusing rail attachments (which are crucial):
    M42 blau / blue Pentacon big Macro bellows Großes Balgennaheinstellgerät / Makro

M.42 SCREW FIT RUSSIAN BELLOWS, CAN BE USED ON DIGITAL

the advantage with an M42 bellows is that the adapters are easily found. for your enlarger lenses you willl need an M39 to M42 adapter and to mount your camera an m42 - MFT adapter. I have used bellows for a long time but have just switched to usign tube lenses. Please someone correct me if I am wrong witht he following calculations: for bellows extension Effective F stop = nominal F stop X (magnification + 1) with a Tube lens: Effective aperture = F stop X magnification. I understand that at magnifications less than 5X Using a tube lens tends to produce sharper images than extension. Your 45mm reversed and coupled with your 90mm might prove to be a very effective combination for 2X magnification

9. Highway 61

Highway 61 New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2016
    Steve
    Thanks, very helpful. I'm thinking of using the lens for a variable extension tube,(probably a better term), as it is a scrap lens that I already have. it will fit my Nikons and I have the adapter to MFT. Should only have to take the stuffings out of the lens and adapt the other lenses to a 52mm filter thread. seems like a good idea, we shall see...