1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Schneider 6-70 cine lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TheLoneRoger, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TheLoneRoger

TheLoneRoger New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2012
    My first post, so 'hi', and go gentle on me...

I acquired a Schnieder 6-70 lens from an Beaulieu cine camera recently, and i would love to be able to use it with my G3 but the image circle is really small.
    Using Ex Tele I can get a usable (just) image for stills, but whatever I do, I get a tiny image circle for video, which changes considerably depending on zoom setting.
    I'm new to the whole 4/3 thing in general and the G3 in particular, so I could be missing something in the set up for video - the manual is a pile of cr*p, after all.
    However, I also bought a Cosmicon 25mm lens yesterday and have no trouble using it for video, so perhaps not?
    So first q - how to set up for video with C lenses with a very small image circle?

Second (and this may be a dumb one) would it be possible to increase the image circle using a teleconverter ? And if so, are there any for u4/3 - haven't been able to locate anything?

Cheers
    Roger

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It sounds like your Schnieder is for a film format much smaller than the m4/3 sensor. The best option is to sell it and look for something that is meant for 16mm or super 16. Even a lot of those don't cover at the shorter focal lengths.

Fred

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    C-mount lenses of a focal length less than 25mm, and even a large number of 25mm lenses, do not adequately cover the m4/3 sensor. There is no setting to adjust on the camera; if the lens is producing a smaller image circle than your sensor, then you're crap out of luck. Buy another lens that DOES cover your sensor. To ensure that wide angle lenses will work, you need something from a format that is larger than m4/3. Consider lenses from SLRs, or just buy native lenses. To ask a fairly obvious question, is your Schneider lens from a C-mount camera? If it's from a Super 8, then it should be obvious that the lens will never adequately cover your sensor.

4. TheLoneRoger

TheLoneRoger New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2012
    I'd read somewhere that Beaulieu 8mm cameras used 16mm lenses, which is why I was curious in the first place.
    Anyway, I have managed to make it usable by enabling Ex Tele on the video page - I hadn't realised there was a separate Ex Tele setting for video.
    With that enabled, it fills the whole frame - even though there is a rather limited zoom range over which it can be focussed, I think it could be a usable close-up lens. Can't wait to try it under better lighting,
    Cheers
    Roger

5. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    Most Beaulieu Super8 cameras use standard c-mount lenses, same as 16mm. But they also came equipped with c-mount zooms like the Schneider-Kreuznach 6-70mm/f1.4 which are solely designed for Beaulieu Super 8mm and project a small diameter image circle fitting the Super 8 frame.
    So, Beaulieu Super8's can use 16mm c-mounts with an approx. 2x conversion factor, but not vice-versa purely due to coverage issues.
    It sounds like ETC is working fine for you now, but to answer your question regarding the extender... You could try a 2x extender that is designed for use for 1" video but it may still vignette. Most c-mount extenders are intended for 1/2" and 2/3" video, so they will still vignette heavily. You'll lose also lose a couple stops with a 2x extender.
    Regarding the focus issues, only being able to focus through some of the zoom range, and mostly at close focus... that is a collimation issue. I can adjust it for parfocal performance if you like.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ex tele causes significant image degradation when shooting still images, as you're cropping away a significant portion of the sensor. If you are deadset on using this lens for still photography, perhaps you'll consider picking up a small-sensor interchangeable camera that was designed to use a smaller sensor. When using this for video, there is no overall image loss, but understand the effective focal length magnifier. On the GH2, it's something like 2.5x, and I assume it's the same for the G3, given the near-identical output resolution.

7. qtmonster

qtmonster New to Mu-43

May 9, 2012
    Hello TheLoneRoger,

I recently purchased this lens also and read your post in the forum. Just registered in the forum.
    I'm also adapting it to my GH2. In the Ex Tele mode, there is still quite a heavy vignetting around the image.

But I do have a problem. Is it me or is there no focusing ring at all? I found the zoom ring, and aperture ring, but there is what seems like a focus ring in the barrel towards the front lens but it doesn't rotate.

Do you encounter this as well or am I doing it wrong?

8. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    The focus ring is the foremost ring. If it doesn't move, then the grease has hardened. It must be disassembled, cleaned and provided with fresh grease.
    I perform this service: ekoe camera