1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Scenes of Lancaster County, PA (Image Heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Diamondback, Aug 26, 2018.

1. The following images were taken during an Amish Paradise workshop held in Lancaster County, PA.

43340343385_c5d843caf2_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Farms off Georgetown Rd

30209521088_58f155563d_o.jpg
    White Rock Forge Covered Bridge

30379190968_b5b7d67320_o.jpg
    Farm on Mt Pleasant Road

29140376847_f1775d051f_o.jpg
    Amish Family Outing

44216254832_26af7bc047_o.jpg
    Cornfield Curves

44197281192_91588638b1_o.jpg
    Farm and Jacksons Sawmill Covered Bridge on Hollow Road

30209473108_034ae7e5b0_o.jpg
    Octoraro Water Co. Pump House

43340384855_c82bb717b9_o.jpg
    Amish Farm on Black Horse Rd

29135367157_cc42b4963f_o.jpg
    Winding Glen Stock Farm

44246268741_39367cf450_o.jpg
    Strasburg Railway Engine 90

44024311212_08a490b656_o.jpg
    Farms on T770 Road

42457671680_fc857c2bc5_o.jpg
    Pine Grove Covered Bridge

43340490255_0c1f91438e_o.jpg
    Amish Carriages on Black Horse Rd

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 19
    • Winner Winner x 12
  2. Thanks for posting these pictures Mark, it certainly seems like a very peaceful part of the country and evokes memories of "how it used to be"
    How big of an area did you cover in the workshop?

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Dave, I can confirm that it is peaceful, except for all the tourists. Those shots are from my extended back yard.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I know what you mean about the tourists. We live about 90 minutes away from the mountains which this time of year is packed to brim with them LOL. I much prefer going out east where there are no mountains, no traffic, no people and lots to see, mainly because there is nothing in the way!!!!

5. Will Focus

Will Focus Mu-43 All-Pro

In the mid 70's I lived in Lancaster County. Beautiful area of the country. It was there that I bought my first 35mm camera, a Nikkormat FT2. It didn't seem to matter which direction you turned your head back then. It was like living inside a 360 degree picture.
    Thanks for taking me back to that time.

6. Dave,

We covered about 46 miles in a more or less elongated loop starting at Atglen and ending up near Paradise PA.

7. My pleasure, but it was certainly no burden on my part. It is truly a very scenic part of Pennsylvania.

8. Thanks Mark, I was just curious about much driving would have been involved as it looks like a really nice area to visit and photograph. Did you have any problem with the Amish people not wanting to be photographed?
    Thanks for sharing these, I know my partner (Sue) would be there in a shot LOL.

9. Dave,

The Amish frown upon personal photos where their faces can be recognised. The one shot I posted above of the rear of an Amish carriage that shows the face of a small child was not intentional. We were set up to photograph a covered bridge (also posted above) when the carriage came by. I turned to focus and shoot the carriage as it passed and was not expecting the rear flap to be open with the child looking out. Having said that it appears children can be an exception due to not yet being full members of their church (I.e., not yet baptized).
    What do Amish think about photography?

10. Thank you for the reply Mark. I'll have a read at the article you have linked.

11. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Beautiful scenes. My wife and I were up there Autumn before last for a weekend conference at Petra Church in New Holland. The town was also having one of the ubiquitous Autumnfests many small towns have each September, so it was pretty busy. I thought the scenery was beautiful, although I live in and prefer more hilly terrain.

12. I have checked out the page on the link and it pretty much confirms what I thought/have heard and reading the comments on there it lead me onto Doyle Yoder's website which has some great pictures of the Amish communities in Ohio. Thanks for sharing the link.
    Being from the UK originally I find the "community" thing very fascinating as we have mainly Hutterites and Mennonites around this part of Alberta.

13. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio
    M Ferencz
    Reminds me of Holmes County Ohio. Particularly the landscapes.

14. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Lovely pics.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.