Scan line problem. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gunstarhero, Dec 5, 2012.

1. gunstarhero

gunstarhero New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2012
    I love my OM-D like everyone else but it seems to act weird every now and then and it gives me these scan lines in my photos. I dont know how else to descibe them. It only happens every now and then and turning it off and removing the lens usually fixes the problem. I have had these appear on paid jobs before and it is very frustrating. Should I send it in to olympus? It can be difficult to replicate the problem. Oh and it also appears in video.

<a href="" title="Scan lines by douggarlandfilms, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="333" alt="Scan lines"></a>

<a href="" title="Scan lines by douggarlandfilms, on Flickr">[​IMG]"333" height="500" alt="Scan lines"></a>
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What lens? All/any of them?

I'd consider sending a few sample images to Olympus tech support, see what they make of it.
  3. gunstarhero

gunstarhero New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I will send them some photos. The problem has come up on pretty much every lens I have. 45,20,14,12-50.
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Definitely looks like an electronics problem. Given that it is intermittent, it's probably a bad contact somewhere in a connector. When this would happen to me, I'd tap the camera with the plastic end of a screwdriver to see if it goes away. If it persists, I'd send it in and pray.
  5. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Nasty. Not that it matters, but does it disappear once the sensor has 'warmed up'. I'd still get it exchanged, wrong-un.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would send it in to Olympus. That is not normal.