Scan colour slides with GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by e_kjellgren, Mar 27, 2016.

1. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011

I've come across my grandmothers collection of old colour film slides in glass frames.
    What would the workflow look like using my GX8 to digitize these images?

My lenses are P7-14, PL15, P42.5/1.7, O25, O75, P14-140
    Guessing the 42.5/1.7 would be the most macro-like?
    Should i build some kind of light-box?
    I've got a slide viewer like this, Hama Diabetrachter B101
    Maybe I could use this device to take the pictures?

/Regards Evert
  2. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    This is a pretty crude method that I tried last week and actually had some decent success with 35mm slides. I will be improving upon it substantially with some form of light box as you mentioned (if anyone had recommendations for this that'd be GREAT!) and figuring out a repeatable way to hold the film in place (while being able to advance it relatively easily).

For a lens I used a pretty crummy adapted zoom that has "macro" capabilities. I found that whatever lens can get you closest is best. I used my pl25 1.4 at first (obviously a much sharper lens than an adapted "macro" zoom, but got MUCH better results from the adapted lens because I had to crop down to almost 1:1 with the magnification that the pl25 results in). I'd test a few different lenses to find what works best for you.

For a light box I'm considering something like this:

I've heard it's best to do this in pretty much utter darkness so the only light hitting the slide is from your back-lighting solution. Also I've heard some people concerned with things like dust and keeping the slide perfectly flat (and the camera and slide on the exact same plane).

The reason I'm getting into this is that I'm starting to shoot a bit more film lately and I'd like to save costs.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How many slides do you plan to digitize?
  4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    This is what my workflow would look like.
    a) look through the slides and do a quick cull of the obvious junk.
    b) throw the rest in a box and take or send them off to a scan service.
    c) go out and take photos with the GX8 until the scans come back. ;)
    d) now scan the really special ones with a real film scanner which can be found 2nd hand for cheap and print them if you want.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    ^^^ Completely agree. Unless you've got a lot of time on your hands or a very small number to scan, get someone else to do a low-res scan (usually 75dpi) and then review them. Any ones worth printing large, get them re-scanned by the service or do them yourself (if they're anything like mine <1% will be worth up-scaling). A low-res scan is more than enough for a quick 4x5 or facebook.
  6. e_kjellgren

Oct 17, 2011
    If I should get a macro lens for this purpose (and ofcourse be able to use it for other fun stuff later) which one would you recommend for the GX8?
    Oly60 - best reviews but just read about some focusing/stabilization issues with this combination (could replace my Oly75?)
    Pan30 - also great reviews but perhaps an awkward focal length (maybe replace my Oly25?)
    Pan45 - double the price of the Pan30 (maybe replace my Pan42.5/1.7?)
  7. e_kjellgren

Oct 17, 2011
    Why can't I upload pictures?
    I tested all my different lenses at their closest possible focus distance, also with the
    Raynox DCR-150 for those where it fitted (Pan14-140 and Oly75)