Scammer on EBAY

jbruce

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Word to the wise. I would strongly suggest that you not buy from the China seller listed in the following scan. The guy is selling fake lens B+W filters. Everything on his website looks perfectly okay. The images of the box (and the box) are a perfect copy of the real boxes. I found this out when the lens arrived. The filter looked authentic. But the first clue was when I tried the filter on the lens and it made a blurry image, time after time. I took it off and the images were fine. I started investigating and realized that there was no hologram logo on either the box or pictures on the website. I filed a complaint with EBAY and they started a case. Guy from China first offered $5 off, I said no; he offered $10 off, I said no. Next said send it back and he'd do an RMA. It didn't show up, so I contacted EBAY again and they gave me a refund. So all is well, but stay away from this cheat, and probably many of the others selling fake B+W filters for cheap. John
View attachment 900502

jbruce

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
EBAY CHEAT.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jbruce

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
Sorry that I have not been to properly respond to questions and comments, something in my computer locked and I could not view the attachment or even type a reply. But now after rebooting, I can respond and say that the crooked seller is... jiaxi_8953. I am still unable to open the original attachment, and could only post a copy of the snip-weird things happen inside this box!
John

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Amazon sells 72mm B+W F-Pro polarizing filter for $110 CAD, I just waited until price got discounted to $90 CAD. Maybe local retailers will also offer discounts occasionally. I got 72mm Hoya Fusion protective filter on Boxing Day for something like $15 CAD off as well in store. Putting a really cheap filter on a high quality lens is just pointless, no matter where it's from. If you are really so money conscious, don't bother with filters at all, and get a cheaper lens next time.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For somewhat premium brands like B+W, it is always worth checking the usual reputable online vendors of used equipment like KEH or MPB. For example, the very same filter being discussed here available from KEH for $24.50 in excellent condition. Also be sure to check out the KEH outlet store on ebay because some of their stuff is listed there but with free shipping for about the same price as their website which then tacks on shipping charges if you don't order at least $49.

And the flip side, now I am a little worried if counterfeiters are pumping out counterfeit B+W filters that look good enough to pass a casual visual inspection, I wonder if places like KEH are being sold counterfeits by these scammers? As KEH is not likely to test every filter it buys on an actual camera, the physical inspection of the filter is likely to be good enough to add it to their inventory.

jbruce

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
John
PakkyT said:
"And the flip side, now I am a little worried if counterfeiters are pumping out counterfeit B+W filters that look good enough to pass a casual visual inspection, I wonder if places like KEH are being sold counterfeits by these scammers? As KEH is not likely to test every filter it buys on an actual camera, the physical inspection of the filter is likely to be good enough to add it to their inventory."

And that is exactly why I will not trust buying a filter from any commercial retailer of used filters. I will save my nickels and buy from someone like B&H. Meantime, my work-around is to attach a 72 -77mm step-up ring and add a 77 mm B+W filter that I know is good. And by the way, I defy anyone to tell the difference between authentic and fake in the packaging or the filters physical appearance, until you hold the box in your hand and see the hologram is missing, and test the worthless piece of crap on your lens. Cheers.

John

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom