SC vs MC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Gwendal, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello - I have seen that some of the lenses I am interested in (the Noktons in 35mm and 40mm) exist in both single-coated and multi-coated versions, for roughly the same price. From what I've gathered, SC means better color rendition, but more subject to flare and CA, and more appropriate for B&W ; am I getting this right ? Or am I missing anything ? Anybody with particular experience of using the same glass in both SC and MC versions ? Does this remain valid even when using these lenses on m43s, or is it mostly with film cameras or uncropped (Leica M9) sensors ?
    thanks for any input...

2. zuiko

zuiko Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    I'm not sure about the better color thing, but I would always get the MC myself. The SCs are usually just older copies of the same lens. A lot of the OM lenses come in SC and MC, but the SCs are from the 70s and the MCs were mostly made in the 80s and 90s. They didn't make them at the same time (Olympus anyway, not sure about everybody else).

3. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info - in this case (Voigtlander), they produce the SC and MC side-by-side, hence my curiosity... oh well, I'll just keep shooting ;-)