SB800 and OM-D EM-5-newbie

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by corns5, Jun 20, 2013.

1. corns5

corns5 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Florida
    Carol
    I usually do not use my flash much on my D700 cause it's so good with higher ISOs but see that I may need one for my new OM-D. I have a syn cord SC28 and my Nikon Flash SB800, but don't want to fry or de-warrant my new Olympus OM-D! Wondering if I should purchase the new flash Olympus FL600,- may be worth it. I usually use my Lumiquest softbox II on the flash, and as an amateur, that works for me on the D700. I do some macro photography as well, and a flash would come in handy. Any suggestions? :2thumbs:

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Just me, but chances are good you won't fry or de-warranty your OM-D by using an SB-800 on it. The sync voltage on the new Nikon SBs is <10V, and you're really only in trouble if it's >20 for the OM-D hotshoe. In addition, if the flash is properly seated on the hotshoe, the TTL pins of the Nikon speedlight won't even hit the contacts of the mft hotshoe--they're placed identically to Canon's, and I've used an SB-26 on my Canon hotshoes without any problems.

However. Your fancy-shmancy SB-800 will suddenly become a super-dumb manual-only flash on an OM-D. SU-4 mode will still work, though. :)

If you want the Olympus equivalents to iTTL, CLS, FP mode, and all the other TTL goodies, then yes, you'd probably want to spring for an FL-600R to go with the OM-D.

If, otoh, you just want to use the light Strobist-style off-camera with manual radio triggers, you can probably just use the SB-800 in M mode, and no worries, as long as your triggers aren't Yongnuo RF-603s. You have to mod a Canon RF-603 to be a mft transmitter to get those triggers to work.

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The SB-800 also works perfectly in Auto mode on the OM-D. Auto mode, in general on the OM-D, has the advantage of no TTL delay. There is a significant delay in TTL mode due to a preflash & metering calculation.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the FL600 has a 75 dollar rebate at the moment... I just bought a second one.

K

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.