1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Say whaaaat? Apparently some SD cards are really microSD on the inside...check the pic...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Dec 19, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    So I was cruising 9gag today (don't judge!) and saw this...apparently a lot of SD cards are actually microSD with a built-in converter (thus acting as SD)...(obviously not my picture):

a09ew2n_460s.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

not surprised.... single manufacturing line... two products. Common parts keep cost down.

I bet this may not be the case for some of the higher performing or larger capacity SD cards that do not have a microSD equivalent.

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, it makes sense...wonder if they're less reliable due to the increased complexity...

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I bought a micro SD card for my GPS that came with an SD card with a slot for the micro SD so It could be used for either.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's not much extra complexity, we're talking about a few passive electrical contacts, no moving parts.

6. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    So we can get 64GB MicroSD. Look at all that wasted space! Where's my 1TB SD card!? :)

7. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    That's actually very helpful. I always bought regular SD cards, but now I'll start doing the opposite since the better MicroSD cards come with adapters and would be more flexible for use in a phone or something...

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah I did this. I use a micro sd in my E-M5, fitted with an adapter, as a lot of my electronic do-dads + toys all have micro sd slots- useful for say processing a raw file on my phone if I'm traveling some place weird.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last time I checked, you can get 64gb micro sd but not at the same read/write rates found in the SDHC cards. Of course this was a while ago and tech moves quick

10. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The interesting part would be to open the MicroSD, only to find a NanoSD hooked up in the same fashion.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Turducken!

12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Out on the bleeding edge it is still true that the fastest microSDs are either not as fast as the fastest SDs or are significantly more expensive.

Back where I "live" they're a match. My Pany G-1's write speed is such that a 30mbs Sandisk cards can handle a 7 shot burst of RAW images without a hitch. Also, having trained my brain to think before I shoot (too many years of view camera usage...) I don't produce a large number of images per shooting session creating issues uploading to my computer. Given this, I currently use 32g microSD cards in adapters, with some older 8g cards in the bottom of my bag or in my phone. Using micoSDs has allowed my phone to inherit my older 8g cards. It is a form of future-proofing.

13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I always buy microsd, price permitting, since they are more versatile. The problem is that microsd tends to be more expensive than the equivalent SD card. It's marketing. Microsd can be used in many more devices than SD. Thus probably why the card that's the subject of this thread has a hidden microsd card inside instead of being sold as a microsd. To maintain the price differential.

14. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have a UHS-I card, but with a USB 3.0 card reader- to get images off, a USB 3.0 port + reader is fantastic.

15. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I still miss the well-implemented buffer of my Canon DSLRs. I hope that someday SD cards will be fast enough that Olympus and Panasonic's relatively poor responsiveness while flushing their buffer won't impact my shooting. Not that I can't get the job done with my EM1, but I sure do miss having instant image review and menu access with no lag while flushing the buffer!